News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 17 9710 11th Gen Intel Laptop Review: Small Changes That Matter

Started by Redaktion, July 21, 2021, 01:17:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorwis

The shorter battery life is disappointing but what's causing it? The older 9700 has higher idle and load average power draw, the same battery but lasts longer during idle and the Wifi-test you did. Under heavy load the tables have turned: the maximum load power consumption of the 9710 is a little bit higher than the 9700 but it seems to last longer under load than the 9700. Are these tests comparable because what the measurements say is the complete opposite of what should happen. What is the reason for the shorter battery life? Difference of around 30% is especially meaningful as the old model can outlast a full day at work but the new one doesn't.

AR Rose

💻 Full size Arrow keys

We need Full size Arrow keys. Cramped Up Down keys are my complications.
Put them in 2 rows, Up arrow key beside right Shift Key.

A new column of keys added for Home, End, PgUp, PgDn key above Right Arrow key.
Put some parallel ridges on Arrow keys.

Pappo

Quote from: Dorby on July 25, 2021, 05:52:48
Quote from: baconstein on July 25, 2021, 04:46:21
but man, I sure would love to hear how they suggest Dell cools a 140w 3070 in such a razor thin chassis.
Look up Eluktronics Max-17.

It's a 17 inch laptop that's lighter than the XPS 17, and managed to cool Ryzen 5900HX and a full 140Watt RTX 3070, and used a QHD screen, 92Wh battery, and Advanced Optimus to get better battery life than the XPS 17 on a lighter, more powerful system.

And I think it's safe to say, that most people prefer a lighter weight laptop to a razor thin one when it comes to making compromises for portability.

That looks nice and one I would consider it, but that one has chunkier bezels, with a thicker design, so it's able to have a 3070 with better cooling. There is also no 4k or touch option.

Dorby

Quote from: Pappo on January 13, 2022, 23:24:05
That looks nice and one I would consider it, but that one has chunkier bezels, with a thicker design, so it's able to have a 3070 with better cooling. There is also no 4k or touch option.

That was a response to make a point about whether making XPS 17 more powerful is possible, not a recommendation of the laptop itself. MAX 17 series has a modern design with slim bezels and lighter weight than XPS 17 and thickness increase due to high-performance is unavoidable. Also many 17" touchscreen options do exist, such as MSI Creator Z17.

Mandeep

Quite a bummer of a machine, very high specs on paper. However, the Graphics card has given me problems with the machine for the longest time and my system continues to heat up to no extent. Because of the heating issues, it has caused severe damage to my battery and now it operates only at 50%. Don't bother going to Dell Customer Service as they are champions of excuses and will make you run from pillar to post without providing a viable solution.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview