News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple may charge fees and review apps installed via sideloading

Started by Redaktion, January 24, 2024, 16:44:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

According to The Wall Street Journal, Apple is planning to institute policies that will charge fees related to apps installed on an iPhone outside the App Store. These new policies would only apply in Europe, per the Journal, in response to the European Union's Digital Markets Act, which goes into effect in March.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-may-charge-fees-and-review-apps-installed-via-sideloading.796725.0.html

NikoB

Am I laughing already reading the "news" headline.
How can Apple impose some kind of commission on personal installation of an application without their control in their store? And this is exactly what is required of them - to lose control over the ecosystem, making it open. =)

RobertJasiek

Technically, it is easy: Apple and its OSs would violate the (also criminal) laws by denying installation / execution of side-loaded apps until ransom payments by developers, third app stores and endconsumers.

BikoN

Quote from: NikoB on January 24, 2024, 17:33:44Am I laughing already reading the "news" headline.
How can Apple impose some kind of commission on personal installation of an application without their control in their store? And this is exactly what is required of them - to lose control over the ecosystem, making it open. =)
ever heard of developer certificates, bundle signing and notarization?
of course you didnt

anan

I was wondering how Apple was going to screw everyone while trying to implement this pesky EU law. I am guessing they will require developers to send them the packaged app. They will then look intensely at it to evaluate how much will they charge for it. And then will send back a special package that can be sideloaded using a special super inconvenient procedure that includes imminent cancer warnings if you wish to proceed. And will automatically charge the developer for any detected sideload.
Users sideloading apps themselves was never in the cards. Apple will fight tooth and nail for that to never happen.

NikoB

Quote from: BikoN on January 24, 2024, 22:06:51ever heard of developer certificates, bundle signing and notarization?
of course you didnt
Dude, I not only heard, but I know it 100 times better than you. ))
If the stupid (rather completely corrupt officials) of the EU/USA and other countries really wanted freedom of action for smartphone owners, they would have long ago, at the level of local legislation, banned any attempts by manufacturers to restrict the smartphone owner from installing any software.

Let me remind you that the same trend is getting worse every day on PC. Since 2016, owners of PCs and laptops, even on the x86 platform, cannot independently change the BIOS of their machines, because manufacturers, in collusion with Intel/AMD, have introduced a digital signature that prevents the firmware of patched/modified images from being flashed into flash chips that store copies of the BIOS. Allegedly because of "concern for the safety of the owner."
Moreover, since 2006, at the instigation of the US intelligence services, Intel initially introduced the hardware spying, remotely controlled Intel ME module into all chipsets, and then the AMD PSP module. You have all been under the surveillance of the intelligence services and criminals for a long time, who have found exploits for these systems of control and espionage that are not documented anywhere.

But as all smart people know, someone else's, imposed "concern for the safety" of other people is a direct road to totalitarianism, fascism and, ultimately, Hell. But the stupid population of the planet steps on the same rake again and again every time.

BikoN

Quote from: NikoB on January 25, 2024, 12:21:47Dude, I not only heard, but I know it 100 times better than you. ))
of course you haven't heard, or you'd never asked questions like
Quote from: NikoB on January 24, 2024, 17:33:44How can Apple impose some kind of commission on personal installation of an application without their control in their store?
answer is `very easy`

NikoB

Another newcomer to NB trying to prove something to me after everything I've written over the years. I can only smile in response to these pathetic attempts...

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview