News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad P1 with RTX 4080, Core i7-13800H, 32GB RAM and 165Hz QHD display gets big discount

Started by Redaktion, August 14, 2023, 21:22:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The high-end configuration of the Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 6 is equipped with powerful components such as an RTX 4080, which means that the 16-inch mobile workstation can also handle the occasional gaming session.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P1-with-RTX-4080-Core-i7-13800H-32GB-RAM-and-165Hz-QHD-display-gets-big-discount.741254.0.html

RobertJasiek

For me, the killer criterion was: no ordinarily sized arrow keys no purchase. (Note to Lenovo: Legions do not have ordinarily sized arrow keys, either, but slightly smaller ones.)

davidm

Neenyah

P1 (and X1 Extreme, doesn't exist anymore past Gen 5) are all without numpads. There are other similarly spec'd ThinkPad models if one wants to get it on their keyboard.

WayneZ

Are the outputs wired to the dGPU or iGPU? Pretty important detail and very difficult to find every time! Lenovo (and all manufacturers; bastards)!

Neenyah

Quote from: WayneZ on August 18, 2023, 03:35:48Are the outputs wired to the dGPU or iGPU? Pretty important detail and very difficult to find every time! Lenovo (and all manufacturers; bastards)!

Not really difficult to find, it's both in BIOS and on PSREF; there is a MUX switch. Check the screenshot: https://imgur.com/qME9npp

Select Discrete = dGPU bypass the iGPU, laptop uses only dGPU. Select Hybrid = enables Optimus (screen is always connected to the iGPU regardless if dGPU or iGPU is being used).

It's also available in Lenovo Vantage, you don't have to go into the BIOS every time. Switching between Discrete and Hybrid requires a reboot.

LoneWolf

While a high-end configuration and a good one, this is not the highest-end configuration available for the P1 Gen 6.

You can get both an i9-13900H processor, and you can get either an RTX 4090 mobile, or an RTX A5000 Ada (Quadro version of the RTX 4090 mobile) with 16GB of GDDR6 RAM. Both of these configurations offer more CUDA cores, more ROPS, a 256-bit memory path instead of the 192-bit, and are based off the AD102 silicon instead of the RTX 4080 mobile which is based off the AD104.

If you don't mind going through Lenovo's store on a certain well-known auction site, you can get the model listed in this article for $2199.

To ejman: CPU won't change the battery life a ton. The nVidia GPUs are now 5nm process instead of 8nm of the Ampere generation, which will save a little power. However, these are mobile workstations, so they're not designed for all-day battery life. You're best off using Throttlestop if you want to increase the battery life by dropping PL1/PL2, though you'll probably lose a little in performance.

If one wants a numpad, the P16 models are what one wants. I find the numpad useful on desktops, but not laptops personally, I'd rather have a centered keyboard and trackpad (offset annoys me)

I have the P1 Gen5 myself, it's a good laptop. The one thing I miss is the 1.8mm keyboard travel from the earlier ThinkPads; the 1.8mm isn't bad, but it's not as good. The 2560 x 1600 165Hz screen is great. Just note that with Alder Lake H and Raptor Lake H, they do consume power, so you're going to have some heat and fan noise. A laptop tray or lapdesk is a good idea, and understanding that yes, you're going to have a large 230w power brick because this isn't an ultraportable and you have a hefty GPU is part of doing your homework.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview