News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

7 reasons why the 15-inch M2 MacBook Air is far superior to its Windows laptop counterparts

Started by Redaktion, August 02, 2023, 07:37:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

There are lots of small differences to keep in mind when choosing between a MacBook and an upper mid-range Windows laptop. In this article, we go over some of the things that make the current 15-inch M2 MacBook Air the superior option compared to its Windows counterparts.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/7-reasons-why-the-15-inch-M2-MacBook-Air-is-far-superior-to-its-Windows-laptop-counterparts.737756.0.html

JamesV2

I like the fan-less design and long battery life, but can't stand the mirror that is called a screen on this laptop. Even clearly visible in the photo in the article.
Couple that with macOS and terrible baseline storage/memory and it no longer is such a superior laptop.

akdfjlas

Actually the build quality is garbage in MacBooks, and I don't get it why people are not outraged by that. To me it seems as purposefully making product with planned obsolescence in mind, and someone should really look into it.

The unibody case is rigid and premium looking, but The screen is made out of really bad material and over the time it damages easily, and you are forced to either replace screen (which is insanely expensive), or buy a new computer.

I have bought M1 MacBook pro and after one month when I was cleaning the screen I realized there was a little dot on the screen. I tried to clean it up, but it did not go away. After looking closely it looked like a dead pixel, but little different, because there was a dent around. After little internet browsing it turned out it is a common issue, and people have "holes" in their Macbooks. Someone pointed out this is not acceptable, but fanboys got angry and were responding "just use computer and do not be bothered, because it is normal to computer to wear out over the time". I was stunned, computer so expensive and people just brush it off, like this is not a spit to the face.

The second issue actually I observed yesterday again during cleaning, and again on the screen. I have cleaned the screen but I have observed bunch of small spots on the left side of the screen. You see I was playing LoL one day for a long time, I have left some oily dirty stains on the "Q", "W", "E" and "R" and then just closed the laptop and forgot about it. It turns out if you do not clean the keyboard before closing the lid, you will imprint oil from your fingers you left on the keyboard into the screen FOREVER. What is the solutions fanboys have you ask? Well first of all wash your hands every 5 minutes and clean the keyboard and the screen after each use, or the best one, do not use laptop keyboard at all, and just buy wireless one, and use that instead.

What the hell is this?! I have NEVER had any issues like that on any screen of any electronic device I owned, even the cheapest Windows laptops. After 4 months I have tiny hole and imprints from keyboard on the screen. Never again I will buy a MacBook.

Austin

No Mac is superior to any Win just due to SW compatibility issues.. what is my own experience! Parallels and all other emulators do not emulate every Win SW and game, furthermore M2 CPU is problem for most compilers..atc. When you purchase laptop you do not purchase just hardware and its parameters..

Otherwise in Apple world it is nice upgrade for netbooks called Air with larger screen :)

PS: had custom fanless desktop for years but discovered that low noise laptop is sufficient as I never worked in absolute silence.. and in this category there are so many options of Win laptops available from each category in this price range you could just dream in the past..

CMW

1) The 15" M2 Air does have HDR support. 2) I can already tell from the comments that Windows fanboys and Apple haters are still some of the biggest idiots online. Apple's products have always been, and always will be, superior to the cheap, ugly, poorly made, buggy, insecure crapware that dominates the PC market.

Whookid

QuoteThe Windows world still has no answer to the MagSafe connector, first introduced by Apple in the 00s
Really? How about Surface Connect?
And this is written by Notebookcheck, lol.

toto1234

You forgot the main reason:
Because it's 25% to 50% more expensive, depending on the specs.

Apple charges 400€(!!) to upgrade from 256 to 1To SSD
400!!  can buy 4 x 1To M2 SSD for that price.

And the bonus reason, Apple is a societal status symbol first and foremost.
Most of the people I know who have a mac don't own them because MacOS is great and the performance splendid.
They do because it gives them a feeling to belong to the elite.

I used Mac computers exclusively for 12 years.
And I switched to PC because the focus of the company has shifted from making great products for pros, to just making luxury shiny status symbols

Neenyah

QuoteReason 1: The MacBook's keyboard is awesome
Nice joke there 😀

QuoteReason 2: The MacBook actually is silent
The MacBook AIR is silent because it has no fan(s), yes.

QuoteReason 3: It's got MagSafe

Barrel pin connectors employed by most Windows laptops are ugly, and the connection between the jack and the socket often becomes somewhat loose after a year or two of daily use.
What are you talking about, lol? Loose (barrel) port, ha(ha)? Most Windows laptops use USB-C unless you still live back in the 2010s.

QuoteReason 4: Superior battery life
This is correct and true...

...as long as you stick to Apple-only apps. Add something that's not macOS-native and watch that battery getting juiced equally fast as on a comparable Windows laptop for a comparable workload.

QuoteReason 5: No PWM
Many Windows laptops exhibit PWM flickering - no matter the price point. The Air does not, meaning it's easier on the user's eyes and is thus more suitable for longer work sessions.
Mate, it is quite literally THE ONLY EXISTING Apple device without PWM. Now compare that with your own/NBC's data:

"In comparison: 54 % of all tested devices do not use PWM to dim the display. If PWM was detected, an average of 18875 (minimum: 5 - maximum: 3846000) Hz was measured."

QuoteReason 6: Its build quality is top-notch
How about comparing it with equally-priced and in general same category of laptops instead of pulling comparisons with budget Windows machines, eh? Guess what, a Mercedes A-Class is in general being built better than a Škoda Fabia. True fu*king shocker there, so unexpected... 😨 ...not.

QuoteReason 7: It will keep its resale value for longer
True but that's not down to its amazing quality because its quality is borderline trash (refer to Louis Rossmann on YT and you'll know what I mean, the guy is not an Apple shill like some others) but because of 🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑 willing to pay more for a used and inferior device than something new(er) for the same cost just for that Apple logo, same people who will slap an Apple logo sticker on their HP laptop.

Edit: Ah crap, that's the same guy who was trashing Edge (for having the same identical things and features as Chrome and other Chromium-based browser, same as Firefox, same as Safari) and promoting MBA without Edge - "Purchase the 15-inch MacBook Air, a laptop with no Microsoft Edge pre-installed, on Amazon USA" - in his recent meme article: "BodyCheck | Microsoft Edge is getting out of control and this needs to stop" ( notebookchat.com/index.php?topic=173596.0 )

no.apple.ever

So incredibly biased lol. Notebookcheck always rallying again Surface connect but promoting magsafe as a plus? And don't even get me started on the keyboard point. MacBook keyboards have ALWAYS been inferior to ThinkPad and Surface laptops, it wasn't until Apple upgraded theirs from absolute trash to decent when people started caring about quality again. I guess when you improve so much, people think you actually have a good product but in reality they are still very mediocre keyboard at best.

PaulAug

So many blind Windows fanboys in here. I've been a Windows user my whole life (i'm 40), and just recently bought the Air 15 out of curiosity and for the battery life.

The Air is an incredible laptop with unmatched build quality and battery life. Before you say I've never used a Windows laptop in the same price range, I've owned several Surface laptops, and an XPS 15, as well as used various Dell HP and Lenovo products for work.

Windows laptops just don't offer a package as complete as the Air. Amazing battery life, amazing build quality, great screen, beautifully thin and light, and completely silent.

I'll still own a PC I've built for gaming but for laptops, I may be a convert.

Jeeeddah

Did someone mention Surface Connect? That thing is not exactly the same as the MagSafe connector, besides, it's exclusive to Microsoft Surface devices. Most people on this planet including my magnificent self have not held a Surface in their hands in their entire life because Microsoft sells those systems in select few countries only.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview