News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Meta Quest 3 compared to Apple "Reality" and Quest 2 headsets in new hands-on leak

Started by Redaktion, May 28, 2023, 17:21:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The well-known Bloomberg correspondent Mark Gurman claims to have been able to test the upcoming third-gen Quest headset from Meta ahead of its launch. Its apparently mixed reality  (MR) -focused build is described as updated in some areas compared to its predecessor, although it may fall short of its rumored impending Apple rival in some respects.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Meta-Quest-3-compared-to-Apple-Reality-and-Quest-2-headsets-in-new-hands-on-leak.721386.0.html

Zing

If they don't improve clarity or resolution over the Quest 2, like they didn't with the Quest pro, it's going to be another failure (like the pro).
I'm usually an early adopter and was looking forward to the Quest 3 - not any more.
Saves me the extra 500 that will make the Apple VR buy less painful.

Johnny12112

Snapdragon XR2?? again?
A 4 years old chip?

This thing is DOA.

The Werewolf

I think what a LOT of pundits are missing here is that the Quest 3 is being targetted at middle income consumers. It's $500-$600 with no accessories needed to function - open the box and go. It's compatible with Android and Windows and can be used both untethered as well as in Rift mode over QuestLink to a PC for heavier performance games.

In other words, a headset anyone and everyone can use for a wide variety of use cases.

The Apple "Reality" headset is expected to come in around $3000 - about the price of a HoloLens - and is tightly tied to Apple hardware, so you need an iPhone and probably a Mac to use it in an equivalent Rift mode. At that price it bloody well had better come with higher specced hardware. World wide, iPhones are about 20% of the market and Macs are around 15%, so the actual market for the Apple headset is inherently smaller (although some countries like the US, UK and Japan are heavy into Apple products, so more likely a success in those regions if all it needs is an iPhone).

The far more likely scenario is that it will be a success within its own market as Apple faithful tend to buy Apple products rather indiscriminately while the Quest 3 will dominate the rest of the market. Remember, the Quest doesn't support macOS NOW, so it's already not a player in that submarket, although it dose support iOS (to a degree).

Pawel

I don't underatand comparing Quest 3 to Apple AR. These are completly different targets. It should be more Quest Pro or HoloLens vs Apple.

Quest 3 is for entertainment...

The estimated price for Apple is ridiculous, I don't think its worth for consumers. The product probably will be polished but it will still use components mostly available (display, sensors, etc). I don't expect anything special except price and high quality.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview