News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung Galaxy A54 5G review - A powerful, mid-range smartphone with many upgrades

Started by Redaktion, May 01, 2023, 17:39:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Galaxy A54 5G is the poster child for Samsung's mid-range devices. Our review highlights upgrades over last year's model, especially the SoC, display brightness, a new sensor for the main camera as well as eSIM support. The smartphone's design has also been given an overhaul and is reminiscent of the Galaxy S series.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Galaxy-A54-5G-review-A-powerful-mid-range-smartphone-with-many-upgrades.710600.0.html

dxace1

A shame they removed the headphone jack, but good to still see a microSD.  Have to wonder how long there will be support for the A52, one of which I have.

indy

Here's my process for getting new phones:
Wait until Black Friday and just pick the best deal available.

Nov '22 Google had a trade in deal where I could trade in my Galaxy S21FE for $400, and get a Pixel 7 pro for $100 off. Savings of $500 for a phone out just over a month!  The S21FE was Definitely not worth $400. But Google honored it. That sets the standard for me moving forward. Offer me hundreds of flagships, or I'll just skip a generation.

This phone being reviewed is MORE expensive than my pixel 7 Pro... No thanks!

Plastic

"The Galaxy A54 has an accent colour aluminium frame"

I believe it has a plastic frame, because of the lack of antenna lines that can be found on all phones with a metal frame.

Dean Stanton

For a 6.40" phone, this is grotesquely huge, especially the width. Very sloppy design from Samsung. And yes it's a plastic frame, absolutely not aluminium, with a very fragile and thin glass back, which I consider a downgrade over the A52s, and the performance is worse, almost 3 years later.

Considering the Pixel 7 is the same price in the UK right now, do yourself a favour and get yourself a flagship rather than a lower mid range bloated, obese and lazy effort from Samsung.

Abc

This is what the A53 should have been last year. The performance now matches the SD778G, and there is WiFi 6 (it wasn't as by the A54, it was downgraded by the A53 from A52s), and 8GB RAM is fitting for this price range (US models still have 6GB, definitely not looking good 5 years in the future).

But with these "improvements" (or just going back to what A52s had), Samsung downgrade the display to make bezels thicker (the dimensions are still the same, but screen is smaller). Samsung is too afraid no one will buy the S series if they make A54 too good.

Do not worry, Samsung, people will be buying competitor models instead.

Quote from: Dean Stanton on May 02, 2023, 22:35:49For a 6.40" phone, this is grotesquely huge, especially the width. Very sloppy design from Samsung. And yes it's a plastic frame, absolutely not aluminium, with a very fragile and thin glass back, which I consider a downgrade over the A52s, and the performance is worse, almost 3 years later.

Considering the Pixel 7 is the same price in the UK right now, do yourself a favour and get yourself a flagship rather than a lower mid range bloated, obese and lazy effort from Samsung.

Certainly. Samsung tries very hard to downgrade this phone to offer less experience for more money. It makes no sense to buy this unless it is down to $250/250€ price point.

Marion Brooker

Apparently, according to Which?, the A52 will be supported until March 2025 and the A52s until April 2025.

looks great but flicker ?

Looks a good improvement over the a53, a great midrange phone to me and often on a sale.

But about the pwm and flickering ? Seemsa very similar display as the a53, which was quite terrible about eye strain...

Also for the weight, I don't need a fragile glass back ( is it glass ? Because quite Heavey, more than 200gr, weird without even wireless charging) but well it looks nice to me for sure.

Please Samsung, at least implement software DC dimming ! Even it reduces refresh rate or HDR,I prefer to save my eyes. Thank you Samsung !!!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview