News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Formovie Theater UST 4K laser projector hands-on review: Great picture quality at a high price

Started by Redaktion, February 26, 2023, 16:04:32

Previous topic - Next topic

S.Yu

Quote from: NikoB on April 07, 2023, 22:37:26Projectors have maximum contrast only in 100% darkness and high-quality processing of the room to suppress reflections.
Yes that's true, but it's an uncomfortable notion in and of itself. If it's my home I'm watching a movie in then I want to be able to do whatever I want, which is far from ideal in a pitch black environment.
Quote from: NikoB on April 07, 2023, 22:37:26But Dynamic HDR can with HDMI2.1 and the same source/content. In principle
In principle it works, but rod cells have bad DR/SNR anyway and cone cells have low sensitivity, the wide DR can be mapped to within 100nits but the eyes will have issues properly and accurately perceiving the whole range, or else we'd have had HDR in cinemas long ago.
Quote from: NikoB on April 07, 2023, 22:37:26But true cinema projectors, on the contrary, have special cinema filters that reduce the luminous flux by 2-4 times intentionally
I've never heard of such filters and don't believe it exists. An extra layer of glass wastes light source life and reduces contrast for no apparent advantage. Some projectors do have irises that at least enhance contrast(slightly), reduce vignetting and sharpen the corners, at the cost of lower efficiency, but all this is solution to non-issue because panels will simply overtake projectors very soon.

darjen

from your focus pictures, it looks like you were using it on a wall without a screen? I wouldn't trust any conclusions from that.

NikoB

Quote from: S.Yu on April 09, 2023, 19:12:39I've never heard of such filters and don't believe it exists. An extra layer of glass wastes light source life and reduces contrast for no apparent advantage. Some projectors do have irises that at least enhance contrast(slightly), reduce vignetting and sharpen the corners, at the cost of lower efficiency, but all this is solution to non-issue because panels will simply overtake projectors very soon.
Because you are not a projector expert. Therefore, they did not hear what all experienced owners of cinema models know. You just have to start with real professional reviews. But on this site you will not find such reviews for projectors, this is not their trend... ;)

AlexR

"indispensable physical effect at 100 "+ with the correct landing in the near zone, which the owners of 50-75" TVs never had"

What does the correct landing in the near zone mean? I just purchased a 100 inch screen. How do I set this up properly for screen hight and sitting distance from the screen for maximum effect?
Quote from: NikoB on April 07, 2023, 13:26:51
Quote from: S.Yu on February 27, 2023, 15:26:13that can't even emulate HDR500
Projectors will never be able to work with static metadata from the first primitive HDR10 standard. But projectors, like any device with a limited dynamic range, by virtue of the technology itself, may well work successfully with HDR10 + or otherwise Dynamic HDR, where there are essentially no requirements for brightness as such, and the metadata itself is dynamically linked and recalculated according to the characteristics of the device. Like semi-manual Dolby Vision, it's just that D-HDR10 does it almost automatically.

Projectors that support HDMI 2.1 don't care about Static HDR. It's not a problem with projectors - it's a problem with crap content made in studios. Crap in every sense, not just technically inappropriate Dynamic HDR in transport stream mode.

In fact, today there is nothing to watch on projectors (as well as in cinemas around the world). My projector is gathering dust without turning on for months - because there is nothing to watch.

Hollywood RIP, and in general the world of cinema.

And what remains for top-end projectors? Demonstrate beautiful videos of nature, YouTube, yes games, but none of them is essentially suitable for games either because of the monstrous input lag and the response of the matrices.

The projectors gave that indispensable physical effect at 100 "+ with the correct landing in the near zone, which the owners of 50-75" TVs never had, no matter how cool the picture characteristics were. This effect can only be experienced in commercial theaters (and again, only with the right seat in the hall - in the right place, which all film distributors and experts are well aware of).

In this zone, special geometric-physical proportions are observed when deep physical effects occur at the brain level. If the sizes in the frame are smaller - there will be no effect, if the sizes of objects in the frame are larger, the effect will not be again.

At home, getting this effect is much easier with a projector than consistently getting a seat in such an area in public cinemas.

But when the entire film industry degenerated into a cheap attraction for extremely stupid teenagers, not adults, and there was simply nothing to watch, investments in projectors became meaningless for several years.

Now only the gaming industry reigns in the world, and in this area, projectors are uncomfortable and an extremely expensive, essentially meaningless solution ...

"indispensable physical effect at 100 "+ with the correct landing in the near zone, which the owners of 50-75" TVs never had"

What does the correct landing in the near zone mean? I just purchased a 100 inch screen. How do I set this up properly for screen hight and sitting distance from the screen for maximum effect?

S.Yu

Quote from: AlexR on July 31, 2023, 07:32:40"indispensable physical effect at 100 "+ with the correct landing in the near zone, which the owners of 50-75" TVs never had"

Quote from: NikoB on April 07, 2023, 13:26:51
Quote from: S.Yu on February 27, 2023, 15:26:13that can't even emulate HDR500
Projectors will never be able to work with static metadata from the first primitive HDR10 standard. But projectors, like any device with a limited dynamic range, by virtue of the technology itself, may well work successfully with HDR10 + or otherwise Dynamic HDR, where there are essentially no requirements for brightness as such, and the metadata itself is dynamically linked and recalculated according to the characteristics of the device. Like semi-manual Dolby Vision, it's just that D-HDR10 does it almost automatically.

Projectors that support HDMI 2.1 don't care about Static HDR. It's not a problem with projectors - it's a problem with crap content made in studios. Crap in every sense, not just technically inappropriate Dynamic HDR in transport stream mode.

In fact, today there is nothing to watch on projectors (as well as in cinemas around the world). My projector is gathering dust without turning on for months - because there is nothing to watch.

Hollywood RIP, and in general the world of cinema.

And what remains for top-end projectors? Demonstrate beautiful videos of nature, YouTube, yes games, but none of them is essentially suitable for games either because of the monstrous input lag and the response of the matrices.

The projectors gave that indispensable physical effect at 100 "+ with the correct landing in the near zone, which the owners of 50-75" TVs never had, no matter how cool the picture characteristics were. This effect can only be experienced in commercial theaters (and again, only with the right seat in the hall - in the right place, which all film distributors and experts are well aware of).

In this zone, special geometric-physical proportions are observed when deep physical effects occur at the brain level. If the sizes in the frame are smaller - there will be no effect, if the sizes of objects in the frame are larger, the effect will not be again.

At home, getting this effect is much easier with a projector than consistently getting a seat in such an area in public cinemas.

But when the entire film industry degenerated into a cheap attraction for extremely stupid teenagers, not adults, and there was simply nothing to watch, investments in projectors became meaningless for several years.

Now only the gaming industry reigns in the world, and in this area, projectors are uncomfortable and an extremely expensive, essentially meaningless solution ...

It doesn't really matter what others say, this can be very subjective, just bring a chair over and try moving it around in front of the screen to get your own sweet spot.

efly_aus

QuoteEverything must be controlled via the included remote

Not true and yet there is no documentation to claim otherwise.

If you press the two remote buttons to pair the remote that is already paired then the remote will lose pairing and you can no longer control the projector.

You can attach a mouse and keyboard to control the remote via the usb ports. In fact this is how I fixed a pairing issue with the remote.

Furthermore, the remote is bluetooth you can add any number of devices for remote control such as a phone app.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview