News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Alienware x16 now available with AMD Ryzen 7000 options up to the Ryzen 9 7940HS, 175 W Nvidia RTX 4090 Laptop GPU, and USB4

Started by Redaktion, February 01, 2023, 17:50:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After having introduced the new Alienware x16 powered by Intel Raptor Lake-H at CES 2023, Dell is now offering what it calls the "world's most premium gaming laptop" with a choice of several AMD Ryzen 7000 CPUs all the way up to the Ryzen 9 7940HS. The Alienware x16 can be configured with up to a 175 W Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 Laptop GPU and is largely similar to its Intel counterpart save for differences in the WLAN card and port selection.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-x16-now-available-with-AMD-Ryzen-7000-options-up-to-the-Ryzen-9-7940HS-175-W-Nvidia-RTX-4090-Laptop-GPU-and-USB4.689189.0.html

Joe

I was hoping for cheap gaming laptops with best iGPU 780m. But then AMD slides show that CPU-s with 780m are targeted for ultra-thin laptops. Now they are even wasted on laptops with dGPU. I dont understand logic behind this.

RobertJasiek

Poster

If this is an indication of what to expect in terms of this apu being released in laptops with dgpu, then don't expect wide availability like last year's 6800u/h based Apus - Almost non existent in 2in1s, thin and light, low/upper mid-range laptops. This is sickening..

Russell

If the air intake is through the sides and raised edges rather than from the bottom (or both), then it's probably gonna be a good one.
As for widespread availability of 7040 series, it's probably going to be worse than last year. Same for amd advantage. I don't think we'd see many laptops with 7000 series gpus whether its S or M series, at least the high end ones till q3. 7600s and 7700s might be available with TUF A16 by q2, but probably no other laptops. Even this might be a rarity.

AD4Kay

The display options are kind of disappointing. Alienware offered a 4k/120hz panel with pretty good color reproduction, brightness and G-Sync support on the x17 R2 which was a good option for productivity. Kind of surprising how middling the display options are given that they're a "premium" brand and Asus, Razer etc. are offering mini-LED options.

Russel

Quote from: Joe on February 01, 2023, 19:51:45I was hoping for cheap gaming laptops with best iGPU 780m. But then AMD slides show that CPU-s with 780m are targeted for ultra-thin laptops. Now they are even wasted on laptops with dGPU. I dont understand logic behind this.

AMD hasn't really announced any U series chips with zen 4 yet.
HS series has been part of laptops with dGPUs for a while.
I wouldn't call '780m' best before we even know how it fares.
They're not really wasted if there's a good balance in utilization of resources even if it has a dgpu.
If you're looking for laptops without a dgpu, they wouldn't be gaming laptops and they are probably gonna come with soldered ram.
The only one announced yet (as far as I am aware) would be Acer swift go. And it  also include the Ryzen 5 with 760m apu. And only that option would be 'cheap' even relatively.
As for the cheap 'gaming laptops' with ryzen, amd probably wants to get rid of the reputation for promoting terrible laptops with almost everything being terrible.
They have set standards for display quality now (TUF A15 base model is still terrible).
But rather than going for that, you're probably better off buying something like a swift x with 5800u and 3050ti which was going on for just $770.
The refresh rate and response time would be the only issues, but if you have used cheap gaming laptops, even that would be heaven compared to those.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview