News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

USB Forum: About performance values instead of version numbers and missing Apple certifications

Started by Redaktion, January 27, 2023, 06:01:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

USB 7.1a version 3, Gen5 2x2? It shouldn't actually get that far with USB, because the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) primarily wants to see the performance data "out there" with the clientele and even places extra advertising for it to move the industry in the right direction. NotebookCheck also spoke to the forum about upcoming 240 W power supplies, cables with displays, certifications, and Apple's stubbornness.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/USB-Forum-About-performance-values-instead-of-version-numbers-and-missing-Apple-certifications.686622.0.html

The Werewolf

However, technically speaking, Apple is actually doing everything right even though the hardware is not submitted for certification.

Sorry, but that's a terrible way to look at it. Basically you're saying "trust Apple" and that's the literal opposite approach to having standards and verifying compliance. How do you know Apple is "doing everything right"? Because it works right now? Because you personally trust Apple?

What happens if Apple tweaks their USB implementation to give their own cables an advantage (see: Lightning)? Is that ok even though it violates the USB specs?

Moreover, it seems weird that while other OEMS are spending the time and money to confirm compliance with the official USB spec, you're letting Apple, one of the most profitable OEMs out there, off the hook. That makes me question the validity of the reviews here as it suggests a seriously problematic pro-Apple bias.

Gregg Turkington

Really good article! Love this more in depth angle. Is there any sort of distinction or category for these deeper write ups vs the 2 paragraph news articles?

George

Thanks for this, I enjoyed the article. :)

While USBC (at least in the EU) is the interface of choice and countless OEM's are swapping out their mini & micro USB ports for a USBC port, users have to realize that is ALL they are doing - swapping out the connector. :(

I have a number of devices that have "USBC charge ports" on them HOWEVER they won't 'handshake' with any of my proper USBC power sources. The end result is that they don't get any power - at all.

The 'fix' is to use a USB1/2 - to - USBC cable (0.5A/5V) to charge the devices.

IMHO: the concept of having Standards and testing/certification is that devices from different vendors work with each other. Least we get into another pre-WIFI or pre-HDMI non-standard market. :)

NikoB

The Chinese, who make a lot of junk cables in semi-basement factories, don't care at all about your standards - 90% of the world's population buys their products. The Chinese will even write USB8.0 and 200GBit/s on a 5-meter cable - 90% of the population still does not understand anything.

I personally saw on Aliexpress how the stupid population of the planet (literally hundreds of people) gave a positive rating to products that were obviously incompatible with USB 3.0 (there were no contacts in the connector at all), although the description says exactly the opposite. And the Ali administration, knowing about pure fraud, did not even delete this page. The situation is approximately the same on eBay/Amazon and other large marketplaces. Everyone simply doesn't care about standards and their monitoring of compliance by sellers and manufacturers.

What's the point of standards if they can't be controlled? Progress of humanity occurs only when the rules leading to a massive (for the majority of the population) improvement in the quality of life are followed.

Sjessus678

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview