News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple may soon support sideloading apps in iOS

Started by Redaktion, December 14, 2022, 22:00:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

If the words of a prominent Apple analyst are to be believed, Apple could soon introduce sideloading to iOS. This would allow users to install applications on an iPhone without using the App Store, opening the door to applications not officially sanctioned by Apple.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-may-soon-support-sideloading-apps-in-iOS.674584.0.html

Martin82

So after more than 10 years, they may finally have a real OS on their phones.

Codrut Nistor

Martin, I think you are being a bit rough on them. After all, a very restrictive tech ecosystem like Apple's has its benefits. Sure, most of them help the brand behind it, but also provides a certain degree of security and long-term comfort for the users as well. P.S. I am NOT an Apple fan. I worked with Macs and the first thing I did every time was to disable Expose and get a Microsoft/Logitech mouse with "normal" buttons...

Martin82

Quote from: Codrut Nistor on December 15, 2022, 09:11:04Martin, I think you are being a bit rough on them. After all, a very restrictive tech ecosystem like Apple's has its benefits. Sure, most of them help the brand behind it, but also provides a certain degree of security and long-term comfort for the users as well. P.S. I am NOT an Apple fan. I worked with Macs and the first thing I did every time was to disable Expose and get a Microsoft/Logitech mouse with "normal" buttons...
Well in theory it does offer more security, but realistically, people rarely have security issues.
When it comes to comfort, i'd say the opposite is true. With tech companies constantly censoring content, there is always the danger of removing apps like Telegram and Twitter (They both have been in jeopardy lately). Now with twitter it's not a problem and we can always use the web version, but with Telegram it would be a huge issue. I'd never buy a phone that doesn't allow me to install what I want and only allows "status quo-approved" apps.

Codrut Nistor

I think for a significant portion of its users, iOS is protecting the users from themselves before anything else. It's my personal, biased opinion based on the Apple fans that I interacted with so far, not NBC's position on the matter. :)

NikoB

Everyone who really needed it could do it in debug mode via a port from a PC or Mac.

In fact, this increases the risks, although no one seriously checks programs for Trojans and exploits in the Apple Store, this requires brains that the checkers never had.

Much more important is a programmable firewall in the OS, which blocks everything that the owner considers necessary, including OS components. But neither Apple nor Google intentionally allows this - otherwise, users will turn off all surveillance of them and their data, and ads will be completely blocked in all software.

In any case, if someone finds an exploit that elevates privileges to 0 and below the protection ring from a usual browser, all this will not help. And there are a lot of holes there ... you just need to look...

A person just needs to remember that connecting online banking / trading and other financial transactions for large amounts of money should not be done on a smartphone - this is a priori one big hole in your security. Because you are not really the owner of the smartphone, especially if you do not own administrator rights on it, like on a PC. And this is most often the case. Your smartphone is owned by the manufacturer and all those whose software you put there with "trusted" digital signatures.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview