News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSDs now down by up to 68 percent on Amazon

Started by Redaktion, November 13, 2022, 08:36:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Now priced at US$159.99 after a massive 68 percent discount, the 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD is not the only one in the lineup to get a price cut. While the 1 TB version has no discount, the 250 GB got 21 percent, and the 500 GB one is down to US$59.99, which translates to a 54 percent discount.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-NVMe-PCIe-3-0-SSDs-now-down-by-up-to-68-percent-on-Amazon.668209.0.html

Lollol

When I clicked on the link (In oreder to buy) the 2 tb,  500gb and 250gb  were out of stock...

Only 1 tb in stock for around 110$ (without tax) ...

TruthIsThere

A two-year-old 2TB dated drive for $160 is not a deal, especially seeing the much faster 980 2TB (over double) dropped ~$190 early part of the year. A TRUE deal would've had this old thing ~$75-90!

Nice way to sell this thing to the uninformed for Shamsung, NBC!

Codrut Nistor

Quote from: Lollol on November 13, 2022, 09:55:43When I clicked on the link (In oreder to buy) the 2 tb,  500gb and 250gb  were out of stock...

Only 1 tb in stock for around 110$ (without tax) ...
Unfortunately, they were still in stock at the time of publishing... it might also have something to do with availability per region. I am sorry that you had no luck with them this time. Cyber Monday is coming soon, maybe you'll find something worthy to grab, just don't lose hope!
LATER EDIT: I just checked and they all show up as "In Stock" for me. Romania here, Romanian IP. I could buy up to 5 each, so your problem has something to do with local availability somehow. Or maybe you just need to be logged in (in case you weren't).
@TruthIsThere: As I said in the article, many people are still using PCIe 3.0 desktops/laptops. What would be the point in buying PCIe 4.0 SSDs? Please keep in mind that this is not a review, and not a sales pitch. It's a deal article with a product on a noticeable discount. Should we add a "deal worthiness" ranking to these articles from now on?

Abc

Salut!

The 2TB is still showing up at $160 on Amazon US. Fair/good price, but I wouldn't buy it. These need to drop even more. There have been plenty offers in the past few months or so.
While the 970's are nice, they're power hogs in laptops. I'd look for something a bit more efficient.

PS5 can work with PCIe4.0 drives only. This is the way.

NikoB

All this is ridiculous against the background of cheap Chinese disks. If it's not stupidity, the Chinese would already be releasing 1TB SLC pci-e disks for $200.

LIParadise

I can't post link, but I think the source is required for such issues/claims.
https
www.chiphell.com
thread-2443478-1-1.html

Tl;dr there seems to be issues with some particular batches of Samsung SSD, s.t. their SMART "available spare", "uncorrectable error count", and/or "media and data integrity errors" would change rather quickly, indicating potential failure. The author noted that he/she's not clear if firmware is related, recommending to upgrade the firmware if possible just in case.

Personally I have a 970EP 1T with S/N listed in the article still working normally, with 03 (available spare) 64(hex)/100(dec) and 0E (media and data integrity errors) being 0. YMMV.

TruthIsThere

Quote from: Codrut Nistor on November 13, 2022, 11:03:16@TruthIsThere: As I said in the article, many people are still using PCIe 3.0 desktops/laptops. What would be the point in buying PCIe 4.0 SSDs? Please keep in mind that this is not a review, and not a sales pitch. It's a deal article with a product on a noticeable discount. Should we add a "deal worthiness" ranking to these articles from now on?

PCIe 4.0 SSDs IS BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE to PCIe 3.0. So, again, there's absolutely no need for any WISE CONSUMER to purchase these dated drives knowing that for only a few bucks more they could future-proof themselves with the latest drives. This shenanigan so-called deal is only to help this very deceitful company to clear their very overstock/oversupply of these dated drives to the uninformed, in my opinion.

Codrut Nistor

@TruthIsThere: Of course it's backwards compatible, but if you are upgrading a PCIe 3.0 platform now, you're going to use it until it breaks or sell it without keeping the SSD for the replacement. At least that's the most likely scenario. Obviously, dropping prices for older-generation hardware is usually about stock clearing.

ffatuz

The speed different between PCIe3 and PCIe4 is not so great to the point it be worth making a fuss.

If it's cheap enough for you, sure go for it, otherwise it's not that big of a loss to give it a pass.

It's not like the up to 6x sequence speed and up to 10x random speed difference between HDD and SATA SSD or SATA SSD and NVMe SSD.

And you be hitting other limitations and not be able to use the full speed of PCIe 4 except in very specific cases.

If anyone wants to try PCIe4 like speed or better to compare, they can try using a ramdisk, the crystaldiskmark result of my ramdisk created with DDR4-2133 is similar to what I found on google for PCIe4 SSD

Codrut Nistor

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview