News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition Review: Unrivaled 4K 100 fps behemoth for US$400 less than the RTX 3090 Ti

Started by Redaktion, November 20, 2022, 17:37:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The RTX 4090 is a flagship GPU based on Nvidia's new AD102 Ada Lovelace architecture. While the fundamentals are similar to that of Ampere, Nvidia is offering amped-up clocks and core counts, new Tensor and RT core technologies, and an efficient TSMC custom 4N process all of which aim to make the RTX 4090 the undisputed chart leader for a long time to come. We put the RTX 4090 through the paces to see exactly how much horsepower you can get for US$1,599.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-GeForce-RTX-4090-Founders-Edition-Review-Unrivaled-4K-100-fps-behemoth-for-US-400-less-than-the-RTX-3090-Ti.668255.0.html

RobertJasiek

The Blender v3.3 Classroom CUDA values make no sense! Have you forgotten commas for the 4090 values and derived wrong percentages accordingly?

"Nvidia allows changing the VRAM ECC state even with regular Game Ready drivers."

How / where is this setting changed?

"US$400 less than what the RTX 3090 Ti FE"

The 3090 TI was introduced for only one reason: troll-testing the upper limit people would be willing to pay. Comparing to the 3090 price makes more sense.

"12VHPWR connector are concerning, it is good to see Nvidia finally offer some respite for affected users"

Nvidia still tries to bury the core of the issue that even debris added on manufacturing can cause burning down one's house and endanger lifes! 12VHPWR in its current form is a fire hazard to be discontinued and recalled entirely immediately, period.

no durr

Vaidyanathan Subramaniam

Quote from: RobertJasiek on November 20, 2022, 19:44:51The Blender v3.3 Classroom CUDA values make no sense! Have you forgotten commas for the 4090 values and derived wrong percentages accordingly?

That's a good catch, Robert. For some reason, we are seeing this with all RTX 4000 GPUs we've tested so far including the 4080. I am contacting Nvidia to see if there's any compatibility issue that they are aware of with Blender 3.3 CUDA. We use automated test scripts and directly import the results into our CMS, so there's no scope for manual error.

"How / where is this setting changed?"

It's available in the Nvidia Control Panel itself under "Change ECC state". But it is enabled only on the 3090 Ti and 4090.

"Comparing to the 3090 price makes more sense"
Well, in a way yeah. But the fact remains that you are getting almost double the performance of the 3090 Ti now for less. Also, the RTX 3090 was eventually phased out across many retailers and stocks cleared at discounted rates to make way for the RTX 3090 Ti.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: Vaidyanathan Subramaniam on November 21, 2022, 09:01:36For some reason, we are seeing this with all RTX 4000 GPUs we've tested so far including the 4080. I am contacting Nvidia to see if there's any compatibility issue that they are aware of with Blender 3.3 CUDA. We use automated test scripts and directly import the results into our CMS, so there's no scope for manual error.

Ok, thanks! I am curious whether Nvidia can update the driver to fix this issue.

QuoteIt's available in the Nvidia Control Panel itself under "Change ECC state". But it is enabled only on the 3090 Ti and 4090.

Thank you!

Now that I know that the initial Blender result is not your fault, let me also thank you for offering a wide range of GPU benchmarks! This is how it should be.

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: RobertJasiek on November 21, 2022, 10:09:05Now that I know that the initial Blender result is not your fault, let me also thank you for offering a wide range of GPU benchmarks! This is how it should be.

Glad you found them useful :)

Thunder

I don't know prices in India, but in the rest of the world right now a 3090ti costs less than a 4090

Here in Italy i can buy it for even 500eu less!

If you're making comparisons with the original MSRP of the 3090ti, it's just useless, though

Mikemike86

Still smoking drugs, how the price of GPUs nearly doubled in 6years.. with inflation it should be less than 1k for a flagship gpu.
I'd hold out there's no way these prices are gonna float without the mining demand and Covid scalping.

Awesomeblackdude

JIMMYLIM

What's the price again? Please don't mention is cheaper than RTX3090Ti when the reality is the price is actually much more than the MSRP by 100 percent.

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: JIMMYLIM on November 22, 2022, 06:18:27What's the price again? Please don't mention is cheaper than RTX3090Ti when the reality is the price is actually much more than the MSRP by 100 percent.
My comparison was WRT launch MSPRs and not current prices. The price cut of the RTX 3090 Ti is recent. The card originally launched just earlier this year for $1999, so it's not an old GPU. That Nvidia could manage 50%+ uplifts in some workloads with the 4090 for 1599 indicates that the 3090 Ti pricing was over the roof. You can get the same 3090 Ti for just $1099 now, which is an insane price drop!

IIRC, the 4090 FE will be made in limited quantities only so availability issues might continue for longer, though I hope Nvidia does something about this. That being said, the 4090 price will also come down eventually (hopefully). So, comparing with launch MSRPs would provide a much better idea of how much we are gaining and losing in the price-to-performance metric.

If the 3090 Ti is still available for $1099 or equivalent in a region, it still makes for a decent purchase at least till 40 series prices further stabilize.

RobertJasiek

Too many reviewers and Youtubers bring the argument of high cards at their low prices would be good value but there are more factors. In particular, high cards have high TDP and noise - too much for me.

Gt390

Lol the used 3090tis are like $900-1000 while the 4090 starts at $2000 the $1600 4090 FE is out of stock everywhere

Even if we go with the magical MSRPs the 3090ti was dropped to $1100 MSRP before the 4090 was even out

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview