News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 14 G8 AMD Review - Custom Zen4 CPU meets great 2.9K OLED

Started by Redaktion, October 26, 2023, 01:13:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo's brand-new Yoga Slim 7 14 G8 is a very interesting 14.5-inch subnotebook equipped with custom AMD Zen4 processors including Radeon 780M and a new 2.9K OLED screen with 90 Hz, which offers great image quality.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yoga-Slim-7-14-G8-AMD-Review-Custom-Zen4-CPU-meets-great-2-9K-OLED.762175.0.html

Antinis_38

You mention that the included 65 watt power supply is insufficient. Would using a 3rd party 90w power supply provide any benefits?

toto1234

"great 2.9K OLED"

Great? with a stupid mirror extremely glossy finish?

No sorry, this is really a deal breaker

Enma45

The price is very good, plus I had been waiting for a competitive laptop for a long time with Zen 4 7040 Phoenix + RDNA 3 + artificial intelligence. Great work by Lenovo, I hope the price drops a little more on BlackFriday.
Another thing that the public appreciates is putting in 2 very useful USB 4.0 and that AMD Zen 4 has been compatible for 1 year.

Oleksa

Looks interesting, if only it had a matte 2K IPS screen, not OLED, and a 2TB drive.
I'm looking forward to the review from NikoB, this guy does the best and most objective reviews.

Ednumero

Quotematte 2K IPS screen
2K would only be ~1920x1200, unless you mean to describe 2560x#### (2.5K) as "2K". This is a marketing misnomer!

I would welcome a matte display. IPS is practical, and a non-reflective OLED would be nice for those with according taste.

We need to get rid of these glossy laminated edge-to-edge glass panels. The reflections are very aggressive on this model, not to mention that on-cell touch panels are the superior touchscreen solution from a durability and repairability standpoint.

I do appreciate the 16:10 aspect ratio, >60Hz refresh rate, and that the OLED matrix contains all three RGB components per pixel (something phone panels tend to struggle with). The PWM figure also seems more reasonable than we've seen in the past, but I'm curious what others think on that.

testblabla

Wasn't battery supposed to last about 14h according to lenovo PSREF?

Max Battery Life[1]
MobileMark® 2018@200nits: 9.6 hr
Local video (1080p) playback@150nits: 14 hr

Neenyah

Quote from: testblabla on October 29, 2023, 14:48:37Wasn't battery supposed to last about 14h according to lenovo PSREF?

Max Battery Life[1]
MobileMark® 2018@200nits: 9.6 hr
Local video (1080p) playback@150nits: 14 hr

Immediately below the quoted part:

Quote2. All battery life claims are approximate maximum and based on results using the MobileMark 2014, MobileMark 2018, MobileMark 25, JEITA 2.0, continuous 1080p video playback (with 150nits brightness and default volume level) or Google Power Load Test (PLT) battery-life benchmark tests. Actual battery life will vary depending on many factors such as product configuration and usage, software use, wireless functionality, power management settings, and screen brightness. The maximum capacity of the battery will decrease with time and use.

https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Yoga/Yoga_Slim_7_14APU8

alfredlordbleep

Does graphic show that a mere playback of a dvd will punch up noise to an unacceptable level---assuming disc's audio reception is not to be unpleasant for headphone free use?

Kenan

Bought the 7735hs version for ~€750 around 4 months ago after reading its stellar review on this site. Seems like I've made the right decision!

Non-Symmetrical Touchpad

Until they start doing centered touchpads, Lenovo is dead to me. Rather get an Asus ROG. Can't believe they're doing the same in their Thinkpad line up as well.

audiacioucity

I bought the earlier version of this laptop (Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 with Ryzen 6900HS and 2.8K OLED screen) that NBC had never reviewed. The price was about 1150 USD. This is the first AMD laptop I have ever had. And also the first OLED screen that I have ever had (besides a TV which I barely use). It's very good, and I can see that AMD and Lenovo have improved on some fronts (chassis strength, weight, performance on the GPU and CPU front, screen resolution). Perhaps cooling is where they should work on, but I believe it has nothing to do with the APU. It's more related to the weight shaved off.

The OLED screen is beautiful. It is nothing like I've ever used. But I suspect it might be the reason why the battery life is worse compared to the IPS version. My Laptop has a decent battery life, but I feel like it's nowhere near the previous subnotebooks I had before (Macbook Air 13 2020 and Lenovo IP 710s with Intel 6500U prior to that). It's also very glossy, which is a massive problem outdoors. I don't use my laptop outdoors, so it's not a problem for me. Unfortunately, Lenovo doesn't seem to have the IPS display version on this laptop, while the last gen Slim 7 had. You have no choice this time. There is of course, the Pro 7, but that is heavier and has a 4050 dGPU.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview