News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14 Ryzen 7 Review: Fastest 14-inch Convertible In The Market

Started by Redaktion, May 03, 2021, 21:41:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

As if the mobile Ryzen 4000 series wasn't already impressive, the mobile Ryzen 5000 series kicks it up another notch for even higher performance-per-dollar to outclass every other 14-inch convertible currently available.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Flex-5-14-Ryzen-7-Review-Fastest-14-inch-Convertible-In-The-Market.536565.0.html

As usual

NotebookCheck. After being for years a fan of this site, I totally abandoned it a few months ago. Now I rarely look to see if it is going from bad to worst.

And yes, it does.

NOTEBOOKCHECK IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS USERBENCHMARK

Probably with the same sponsor also

As usual a slow Intel laptop gets a high score and as usual an AMD laptop is getting a low score for no real reasons. Best CPU? Who cares? Best battery life? Who cares? Easy upgradability? Who cares? Here take a 79% score because of all the stupid excuses.

weeeeeeeee

If that single USB-C port can't connect an external monitor, then the notebook is limited to a single external monitor by the HDMI port. And I don't see why they couldn't fit a second USB-C port like in their other models such as the Ideapad 5 pro. There seems to be plenty of space on the sides for more ports.

GeneraISoybeans

Quote from: As usual on May 03, 2021, 23:17:13
NotebookCheck. After being for years a fan of this site, I totally abandoned it a few months ago. Now I rarely look to see if it is going from bad to worst.

And yes, it does.

NOTEBOOKCHECK IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS USERBENCHMARK

Probably with the same sponsor also

As usual a slow Intel laptop gets a high score and as usual an AMD laptop is getting a low score for no real reasons. Best CPU? Who cares? Best battery life? Who cares? Easy upgradability? Who cares? Here take a 79% score because of all the stupid excuses.
I would blame the low score all on Lenovo. Did you look at this display? 200 nits?? Are you kidding me? In 2021, Lenovo is offering a trash 40% aRGB 200 nit laptop for 750 dollars. Not to mention that the keyboard/trackpad and build quality are absolute crap. If you put just the slightest pressure on the keyboard deck and it flexes like crazy. (Maybe that's why they called it the "Flex 14"?)

weeeeeeeee

Also the cinebench r15 score for this 5700u seems a bit low. The slim 7 4800u can average 1500 points on loop without modification, dropping from 1650 initially. I don't know why the notebook check review of the slim 7 had lower scores though.

hasidi4986

I agree with "As Usual" in some ways.
The main issue with Noteboocheck reviews is that the ratings don't reflect the price. I've been following you for years, and it's the same problem.
You cannot compare a laptop that cost 750 with another one that cost 2100 (X1 G6). Not possible. Yet, the rating system forces you to do it and you think this IdeaPadflax is cr... because of the rating, when it's an amazingly fast laptop that ticks almost all boxes for 750$.

I do tend to agree Intel laptops are rated much higher than AMD counterparts. Not sure why, maybe because Intel processors are still very good overall even if they are lacking in regards to Cinebench tests / multicore performances.

But the price is the differentiating factor between laptops and you do not take it in consideration. They should be a price/performance rating or a second rating system.

fmyhr

Thanks for this review. I'm glad to know about this inexpensive 8-core AMD notebook, even if the input devices and screen are subpar. And as usual I very much appreciate your quantitative testing for display backlight PWM, brightness, color accuracy, and laptop surface temperature measurements, etc. In contrast to some other commenters, I don't have a problem with your overall % score, for this notebook or in general. Any such single score necessarily obscures the particular reasons to prefer or avoid a particular device. Anybody interested should read your thorough reviews. I see no particular reason to try to incorporate price into your % score -- prices vary greatly between different markets and different sales anyway. You could perhaps try to assign a separate value score, as one commenter suggests -- but individuals can easily do this on their own, armed with your thorough review and their current knowledge of the notebook's current price in their local market. In short: thank you for your in-depth reviews.

And back to this laptop: it's a great choice for someone who wants a very powerful CPU in a cheap package and is willing to overlook or work around the weak input devices and screen. Although why Lenovo couldn't make the HDMI at least v2.0 is beyond me...!

GeneraISoybeans

Quote from: fmyhr on May 04, 2021, 14:54:33
Thanks for this review. I'm glad to know about this inexpensive 8-core AMD notebook, even if the input devices and screen are subpar. And as usual I very much appreciate your quantitative testing for display backlight PWM, brightness, color accuracy, and laptop surface temperature measurements, etc. In contrast to some other commenters, I don't have a problem with your overall % score, for this notebook or in general. Any such single score necessarily obscures the particular reasons to prefer or avoid a particular device. Anybody interested should read your thorough reviews. I see no particular reason to try to incorporate price into your % score -- prices vary greatly between different markets and different sales anyway. You could perhaps try to assign a separate value score, as one commenter suggests -- but individuals can easily do this on their own, armed with your thorough review and their current knowledge of the notebook's current price in their local market. In short: thank you for your in-depth reviews.

And back to this laptop: it's a great choice for someone who wants a very powerful CPU in a cheap package and is willing to overlook or work around the weak input devices and screen. Although why Lenovo couldn't make the HDMI at least v2.0 is beyond me...!
I see no reason why one would purchase this device, when there are much better offerings in the same price range. For example, they could just wait for HP to update their Envy x360 13 AMD to 5000 series AMD. The Envy x360 13 is a laptop that was fully recommended for the average person by many youtubers and qualified reviewers (Linus Tech Tips, The Verge, CNET etc.). It has a higher level of performance due to higher power limits, and has none of the drawbacks that his device has. (It has a 300 nit (upgradeable to 400), much better build quality, and it's the same price.)

choo

02nz

I ordered the Ryzen 4000 version of the Flex 5 but canceled because of the USB-C limitation (no DisplayPort), so it's disappointing to see that again here. I don't know why Lenovo does this - almost all USB-C ports that support either Power Delivery also support display out (even without Thunderbolt). This limitation means only one external display (HDMI) is supported unless you go with DisplayLink, whereas I believe the chipset natively supports 3 external displays.

charlie

I was a bit disappointed with the screen that colors was washed out. After using your screen calibration profile, it was like changing the LCD panel with a new one. I would like to thank you for that.

I wonder why the panel come out to the market with proper calibration.

Thanks again, I am very happy now with my laptop.

Newowner

Hi, can you give me a hint where i can find this calibration file and how to install it?
Your help is very apreciated! (Sorry i`m not a native english speaking person ;)
Regards
Simon

PatrickJS

For anyone else, trying to find the link to download the color profile.

Its in the "Display" section, with label "Download ICC File.."

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview