News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

ThinkPad X1 Yoga G6 Review: Lenovo's best Business Convertible

Started by Redaktion, April 30, 2021, 12:01:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The new ThinkPad X1 Yoga G6 gets a major update and wants to convince customers with a new chassis, faster processor and a matte 16:10 touchscreen.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-G6-Review-Lenovo-s-best-Business-Convertible.536304.0.html

Aegis

QuoteThe TDP drops to 6W about every 30 seconds

This has been observed by many owners of X1C9 and X1Y6 as well. And I'm extremely disappointed about that.

Artem Kliatchkine

I also faced the issue with TDP and gaming performance and after a bit of research realized that it is caused by Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Service. This service is installed together with some of Lenovo drivers. Disabling it fixed the pb, at least for me.

Mothertrucker19

Quote from: Artem Kliatchkine on May 03, 2021, 08:59:27
I also faced the issue with TDP and gaming performance and after a bit of research realized that it is caused by Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Service. This service is installed together with some of Lenovo drivers. Disabling it fixed the pb, at least for me.

On my X13Y I also had this problem. Lenovo's cooling/performance profiles are really odd, and you can't manually adjust it unfortunately.

Aegis

Quote from: Artem Kliatchkine on May 03, 2021, 08:59:27

Which power mode are you using? Better or Best Performance? For me, setting Best Performance will still trigger the issue even if Lenovo Lenovo Intelligent Cooling is disabled.

Melchizedek

You're right, I tried a somewhat old game (Natural Selection 2) and regularly (every minute or so) got terrible lag spikes that lasted a good 15 seconds. I tried disabling Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution. Problem persisted when in Best Performance mode, but was much, much less common in Better Performance mode.

Melchizedek

Quote from: Melchizedek on May 07, 2021, 06:25:24
You're right, I tried a somewhat old game (Natural Selection 2) and regularly (every minute or so) got terrible lag spikes that lasted a good 15 seconds. I tried disabling Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution. Problem persisted when in Best Performance mode, but was much, much less common in Better Performance mode.

(Didn't know how to edit my post, so I'm quoting myself)

Edit: Turns out that the problem persists. I'll try tinkering with Throttlestop to see if it helps.

risurfdog

Great review Andreas! Just got my X1 Yoga Gen 6. It came with a 1TB SSD PCIe 3.0 drive... could I upgrade to a 4.0 SSD myself and if so, do you know how easy/hard this would be and do you have any advice / suggestions on how to do this or which SSD PCIe 4.0 drive to buy? Do you also think this is even necessary? I think I saw that 4.0 can be up to twice as fast for read/write, but I will mainly be using it just for my MBA program (mostly just web browsing, school work, Microsoft word, excel, PPT etc..). Thanks!

fishstik

Andreas, Lenovo just updated their BIOS to v1.39 with the changelog claiming performance fixes. Please update the benchmarks and stress tests accordingly; thanks!

John Gray

Thanks for these detailed reviews. I was interested you highlighted the audio latency was too much for this to be useful in audio production.

- I wonder if you have found any 2-in-1 laptops that are good for audio production?

Mauro

You refer to the 1920x1200 display as FHD which is incorrect. The correct term for this resolution is WUXGA.

Ina06

The promised update "once there is a new BIOS version" never came for neither the X1C9 or X1Y6. The word on the internet seems to be that the post-1.42 BIOS versions only provide a partial fix for some. We hope this article will be updated soon to reflect the performance under sustained workload with the latest BIOS - it is a make or break for these two X1 models and the issue is not limited to gaming.

davidm

Any chance you could test WQUXGA "4k" 3840 x 2400 battery life? Also waiting on the BIOS update. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview