News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Multiple Alienware m15 Ryzen Edition variants show up online running AMD Ryzen 9 processors and Ampere graphics cards

Started by Redaktion, March 27, 2021, 00:21:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Dell is all set to give the Alienware m15 series a Ryzen refresh if a new leak is to be believed. The Alienware m15 Ryzen Edition R5 showed up online in multiple configurations, one with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX and Nvidia  GeForce RTX 3070, and the other with a Ryzen 7 5800H and GeForce RTX 3060 and a third with a 5800H and an RTX 3070.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Multiple-Alienware-m15-Ryzen-Edition-variants-show-up-online-running-AMD-Ryzen-9-processors-and-Ampere-graphics-cards.529767.0.html

ariliquin

I'm so tired of manufacturers treating AMD users like second class citizens, where is our Ryzen 5900HX and RTX 3080 option Dell? Only manufacturer looking after us is ASUS.

L

@Ariliquin
AMD has been treating OEMs and laptop users like second class clients with their atrocious driver support and pushing it in OEMs. Only recently somethingstarted to change but I don't expect much.

Martin Kirilov

Gustafson

Quote from: L on March 27, 2021, 08:03:21
@Ariliquin
AMD has been treating OEMs and laptop users like second class clients with their atrocious driver support and pushing it in OEMs. Only recently somethingstarted to change but I don't expect much.

And you're saying intel has had the best drivers for years?? 😂🤣

L

@Gustafson
Well I did not have trouble with installing drivers for Intel or Nvidia after OEMs stopped supporting those devices while with AND I could not install their mobile gpu drivers if they were not modded. My point is that AMD only recently buckled to support their mobile solutions and not push it on OEMs so maybe said OEMs are wary of this and other problems we don't know about..

dingus

Gustafson

Quote from: L on March 27, 2021, 14:44:23
@Gustafson
Well I did not have trouble with installing drivers for Intel or Nvidia after OEMs stopped supporting those devices while with AND I could not install their mobile gpu drivers if they were not modded. My point is that AMD only recently buckled to support their mobile solutions and not push it on OEMs so maybe said OEMs are wary of this and other problems we don't know about..

AMD didn't have a compelling mobile product since the old Acer Ferrari One until recently.
Ryzen 5 2500u was good, but didn't really give much battery life. 3500u was better, but still battery life was bad.
4xxx series was better than what intel had to offer in every single way.
Now back to your claims.
Did you buy a bulldozer(any generation from Trinity to Carrizo) based laptop?
I didn't. So I don't know how they managed the drivers. But from what I heard, the gpu drivers were always better than what intel offered.
And you say the OEMs are wary of amd.

They are still not wary of intel that sold them chips with meltdown and spectre knowingly for years.
They made Kabylake with the same security flaws and released it after the flaws were revealed...
Intel has been affected by over 248 security issues, some at hardware level and that can't be fixed and some getting serious performance hits when you apply patches.
But the OEMs trust them enough to include them in business laptops. But they are wary of amd's drivers.

😂🤣😂🤣😂😂

Anil Ganti

ZODD

And here  come all the fanboys from both sides . :p
It's funny when it comes to pure gaming Intel still beats AMD but AMD takes it in every other test
Jarrods Tech recently tested both and Intel came out on top.

Don't believe me see for yourselves

youtu.be/6GbiWLDuqxk

Gustafson

Quote from: ZODD on March 27, 2021, 20:23:00
And here  come all the fanboys from both sides . :p
It's funny when it comes to pure gaming Intel still beats AMD but AMD takes it in every other test
Jarrods Tech recently tested both and Intel came out on top.

Don't believe me see for yourselves

youtu.be/6GbiWLDuqxk

It's nothing new. Intel has had single thread advantage for ages. But with the efficiency getting worse, the addition of security vulnerabilities that happen once in a few weeks (lol) and patches that further reduce the performance, it's crazy to buy anything to buy from intel for now. It would be as crazy as buying that 225W bulldozer based amd CPU (forgot it's name). 😂

L

@Gustafson
I used Intel cpus in laptops only, but when paired with AMD gpus I could count on a few updates mostly and they pushed it all on the OEMs until late 2019 or early 2020 when they finally turned around, but I haven't tried it an most likely won't in the near future until I'm sure it's better. As for the cpu side I have no idea how they work, but from the desktop market it seems to be better than gpus, but OEMs usually are supported by the manufacturers when designing new PCs and so far AMD either did not provide it or it took so much time to get them into the market.

Gustafson

Quote from: L on March 28, 2021, 13:26:47
@Gustafson
I used Intel cpus in laptops only, but when paired with AMD gpus I could count on a few updates mostly and they pushed it all on the OEMs until late 2019 or early 2020 when they finally turned around, but I haven't tried it an most likely won't in the near future until I'm sure it's better. As for the cpu side I have no idea how they work, but from the desktop market it seems to be better than gpus, but OEMs usually are supported by the manufacturers when designing new PCs and so far AMD either did not provide it or it took so much time to get them into the market.
AMD mobile GPUs have never been all that impressive.
Navi could change that, but for laptops I'd still go for NVIDIA (for desktop either of them would be fine, depending on your needs).
They did provide not too bad options for macbook pro though.

But this article is about amd cpus (or apus) being adopted. Why would you talk about gpus?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview