News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is a shadow of its former self after 18 months of crypto mining

Started by Redaktion, February 27, 2021, 00:39:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A new video has demonstrated the effects of prolonged crypto mining on the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. Seemingly, stressing the Turing card for so long in this way causes noticeable in-game performance drops, including to average FPS, 1% lows and GPU clock speeds.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-Ti-is-a-shadow-of-its-former-self-after-18-months-of-crypto-mining.524632.0.html

cj0r

By your own admission, the video creator's testing is garbage. They haven't confirmed replacing paste and thermal pads nor have they even stated whether they've cleaned out dust or anything else that would cause the gpu to thermal throttle.

The video is click bait trash along with this pointless article.

seaofabsu

So, essentially, no impact. Without knowing ambient conditions or maintenance performed, one could easily this would happen to any card that was used for gaming and in a PC that was left powered on 24/7.

Renegade

So a card they mined on for 18 months and after initial testing they did not:

1. Clean the HSF of dust and retest.

2. Remove the HSF, repaste and retest.

18 months of 24/7 mining degrades the paste, not the silicon.

Complete and total garbage commissioned by nvidia, no doubt, to cast doubt on the used card market in order to get those prices down. They can't get 3000 series silicon fast enough, the ETH crypto limiter on the 3060 has already been defeated in Linux, and ain't nobody want a 1050Ti.

I have a Gigabyte 1080Ti I have mined on since day 1 in my possession back in 2018. I have cleaned and repasted it several times over the years. This last time, I lapped the OEM heatsink and got an excellent mount. It's been running an XOC BIOS since 2019 so no temp, current, or voltage protections. Mines ETH at 49-51 MH/s with Ethlargement. 2088/6050 clocks for 24/7 use. Best part: load temp never breaks 35C in a 22C ambient basement. Heatsink gets hot, but doesn't saturate with fans at 100% and the cosmetic shroud popped off.

Fake, bullshit news piece for clicks.

hfm

Quote from: Renegade on February 27, 2021, 04:53:49
So a card they mined on for 18 months and after initial testing they did not:

1. Clean the HSF of dust and retest.

2. Remove the HSF, repaste and retest.

18 months of 24/7 mining degrades the paste, not the silicon.

Complete and total garbage commissioned by nvidia, no doubt, to cast doubt on the used card market in order to get those prices down. They can't get 3000 series silicon fast enough, the ETH crypto limiter on the 3060 has already been defeated in Linux, and ain't nobody want a 1050Ti.

I have a Gigabyte 1080Ti I have mined on since day 1 in my possession back in 2018. I have cleaned and repasted it several times over the years. This last time, I lapped the OEM heatsink and got an excellent mount. It's been running an XOC BIOS since 2019 so no temp, current, or voltage protections. Mines ETH at 49-51 MH/s with Ethlargement. 2088/6050 clocks for 24/7 use. Best part: load temp never breaks 35C in a 22C ambient basement. Heatsink gets hot, but doesn't saturate with fans at 100% and the cosmetic shroud popped off.

Fake, bullshit news piece for clicks.

100%. Any tech savvy person worth their salt was thinking this within the first 5 seconds of reading this article.

danwat1234

Well, Alex alderson is not the only one to have written clickbaity articles about this YouTube video.

danwat1234

Evilpaul

I watched the video. I assume most people commenting didn't. The "worn-out" mining card system consistently, across all games "tested", used 500-2000 MB more RAM. Were they downloading and installing Windows update while testing or something? They have more obvious problems then hypothetical thermal goo problems. They were right there on screen.

sL1NK

Guys, that channel is always posting sus content. I wouldn''t be surprised if it was the same card, but standard vs 20% fan speed cap benches.

Tyson Merten

Honestly sick of seeing this trash in my Google feed.

This is a ridiculous lopsided test that only people with no knowledge of hardware would even entertain.

"Testing Games"? You look like fools. I just hope you know that.

Francois

I didn't realize this site was posting such biaised content. That article is incredibly bad and if the authors does not realize why it is blatetly wrong he should not be allowed to publish.

PaxV

On the other side I have 2 7 yr old gtx 780s and have used them for cloud computing for 7 years  roughly every 2 to 2,5 years they get repasted, and fins and fan get cleaned. And they functioned like new....

I replaced both end 2020 and my new 2070S has been at 100% load at every moment I'm not behind my desk.

It'll likely work for the next 5 to 7 years or until replaced. Provided I provide basic maintenence.

Robert

that performance difference might be just because of the thermal interfacing material wearing out. Prolonged graphics card usage tends to wear out the thermal paste, this lowering it's efficiency and making the cooler less efficient. I would suggest a thermal paste reapplication and retuning the same set of benchmarks for a more accurate result.

Cheers!

jptech

Dumb a** crypto miners don't properly burn in their cards. They just plug it in and start. I hope Nvidia cryptogimps every new chip they make.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview