News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MSI justifies keeping people in the dark about NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series GPU wattages, despite there being up to 70 W TGP differences between RTX 3080 cards

Started by Redaktion, January 28, 2021, 22:59:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

MSI has defended its decision to omit GPU wattages from its new NVIDIA GeForce 30 series gaming laptops, despite the considerable differences in performance between some GPUs of the same name. Apparently, MSI believes that it would be unable to inform people that one RTX 3080 GPU has an 80 W TGP, while another has a 150 W TGP. Its justification has left us unconvinced, though.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-justifies-keeping-people-in-the-dark-about-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-30-series-GPU-wattages-despite-there-being-up-to-70-W-TGP-differences-between-RTX-3080-cards.517422.0.html

ChinaLiedPeopleDied

Keep pushing and boycotting them.

If they don't disclose, we must assume the wattage is low, and wait until reviews come out.

Either way MSI, Acer, Gigabyte are brands you can easily replace with Lenovo and Asus as the latter 2 have full AMD Ryzen 5000 commitment to their gaming lineup.

Erik

MSI isn't exactly well known for its correctness, weren't they the ones who were found scalping (by "mistake", of course) their own GPUs on Ebay through their Starlit Partner? After that you can expect this and worse.

Joe N

ZODD

And  the real fans of MSI laptops will move on to better choices.
Big mistake and they will loose many sales.
If they want to play this stupid game , screw them.

Grinnie Jax

MSI is telling us complete nonsense. No, it's not difficult telling the exact wattage of the card - that parameter is set by them. If it's so difficult - why the newcomer in the laptop market, XPG, are doing this easily? They just want to play NVIDIA scam game making things more complicated to the customers, creating a complete mess when 3060 in one laptop beats 3080 in another laptop, 3070 in one laptop beats 3080 and falls short of 2070 in another laptop, etc, etc. ScamVIDIA and their "partners" have been fooling people for quite a time already, now they just want to make one step further and make choosing and comparing laptops a complete nightmare.

TechPita

Apparently, it is not at all confusing to throw dozens of non sense terminology at product description but very confusing to write TWP: *** W. 👏👏👏

AdamKada

Eluktronics is also explicitly stating GPU power limits on their product webpages. E.g. for Max-17; 3060 (Max-P TDP: 90~115 Watts, OC Options: Up to 130 Watts with Dynamic Boost*), 3070 (Max-P TDP: 115 Watts, OC Options: TGP Adjustable up to 125 Watts + 15 Watts via Dynamic Boost for a maximum of 140 Watts*) and 3080 (Max-P TDP: 115 Watts, OC Options: TGP Adjustable up to 125 Watts + 15 Watts via Dynamic Boost for a maximum of 140 Watts!*) and so on for other products. That is the way it should be

DivineJustice

Thank you very much for this reporting!. Please keep reporting on it and pushing back on these manufacturers. They are trying to SCAM unknowing consumers who do not know the difference and this is WRONG.

Crowl

When there is such a wide range of values, the only thing consumers can do is vote with their wallets, if the oem won't tell us then don't buy from that oem and if others are out of stock, just wait for them.

sephiroth

Very shady and disappointing to say the least.

People should have a minimum of information when buying a configuration that sometimes cost 3000+ Eur/usd without having to beg MSI...

80W 3080 is a 3080 only by its name..Nvidia should have given less freedom for the OEM since they are confusing everyone including their own representatives.

If they are happy with the backlash, the low/medium quality 3000$ laptops and the sales...good for them, for me, for the first time in 11 years I will  build a desktop PC, maybe a mini-itx because laptops became confusing, prone to throttling, expensive whilst still using crappy plastics, bad thermal paste, cheap li-po batteries etc...they never learn.

Only the modern Razer blade seem to introduce some quality in the barebone (sadly not their battery..)

Sportbike Mike

I love my GS63 but it seems like rver decision MSI has made since building that device just pushes me further away from them.  I think this is the decision that ensures I buy my next power laptop from someone else.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview