News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Camera comparison of flagship smartphones in RAW format: DSLR-quality photos without much effort?

Started by Redaktion, January 19, 2021, 04:49:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

RAW!... or perhaps better JPEG? In our camera review, we compare the photo qualities in RAW and JPEG. The contenders are the Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra, the Huawei P40 Pro Plus, the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, and the OnePlus 8 Pro. Do RAW photos raise the high-end smartphones to a new level?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Camera-comparison-of-flagship-smartphones-in-RAW-format-DSLR-quality-photos-without-much-effort.515569.0.html

vrvly

lol, comparing raw photography, should have used xperia 5II and new S21Ultra. Xperia got best colors also S21 got 12bit raws.
Actually multi stacked hdr raws can be done with gcam - ported google camera.
Though simple raw loses a lot if compared to 12 of stacked frames when shooting jpeg on some brands, if auto output is bad, raws can solve this.
Do not know about stacked raws on full size cameras, or any smart features like changed AI background.
In phones you also have something you don't on mirrorless, also what most people can only dream about considering price, its hi res 64mp (I mean those with regular bayer) and 8K. Seeing detail difference 4K/8K, its crazy what you get.
PS: Some brands got similar results on jpegs and without effort, some like sony got better edited raws, but output from like iphone vs one from sony - its heaven and hell, colors are way more realistic from xperia. So raws are not everything, hw or used sw are also important.

Spidey

Xperia always gets forgotten where they are always the one that shines and does what best is.. I dont blame the lack of information the author brings to the table whereas there are much more phones that are capable of doing this thing.. Oh well.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

nbcliers

DSLR-quality. Yet another pathetic click-bait from NBC. That says a lot about the level of knowledge and the obsession for more views. That is shameful.

Just do a ctrl+f in the page and look for "dslr".

Kris

I wonder where the Motorola G7 plus has disappeared? Such a simple/low budget smartphone but with such amazing RAW capabilities.

Glenn Hughes

I had s20 ultra and now have the xperia 5ii and I think the xperia is better my wife got the ultra but the xperia just seems easy to take pictures in the photo Pro app plus you got a shutter button

Ello

Thanks for the comparison, but next time it would be great if you could (at least for the low light pictures) to take them with the exact same settings. The Samsung looks much better, but maybe only due to the fact that the shutter was the highest with the lowest ISO compared to the others, it's like compairing apples to peaches.

Seif

What's the point of raw if you don't edit them? Stupid comparison and article.

Raw are there to retain more information and to retrieve it or boost it (highlights, shadows, colours). No one shoots raw and post it as is.

Utterly useless...

AJ73

Who ever saw a RAW/DNG in night mode form the GCam (Xiaomi Mi Note 10 27MP from the 108MP sensor by 4x pixel binning) will never ask the question again if RAW/DNG makes any sense.
OK the JPEGs there are even a litte more detailed and clean but the full contol over the white balance is worth so much more.
The stock apps are most of the time not even able to take RAW/DNG in night mode.
Also in day light the difference is huge. In the Xiaomi original the color noise is very pronounced in the one from the GCam virtually not present.
An this is on a phone that costed less than 400€ when I bought it.

Panino

The P40P raws are botched.
See how the JPG from Pro Modo does not have the magenta cast? That JPG is a simple conversion from the RAW, with the correct color processing. When the editor did the test of Lightroom the program didn't had the correct info to correctly processes the colors on the P40P's raw, that's with it came out so ugly.
Think I see people sharing the correct info in the DPReview forums.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview