News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

WhatsApp scrambles to stem the flow of users moving to rivals Signal and Telegram as millions protest against controversial privacy policy

Started by Redaktion, January 16, 2021, 20:32:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

WhatsApp has taken to social media channels to try to allay deep concerns that users have been voicing about data sharing and privacy. The company has decided to extend the deadline for its terms update acceptance from February 8 to May 15. However, millions have already decided to move to rival messenger services such as Signal and Telegram.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/WhatsApp-scrambles-to-stem-the-flow-of-users-moving-to-rivals-Signal-and-Telegram-as-millions-protest-against-controversial-privacy-policy.515474.0.html

anon

It is important to point out that Signal is a non-profit and is structured so that it will never be able to monetize user data.

With WhatsApp (under Facebook) it is only a matter of time.

ariliquin

Signal is a Not for Profit dedicated to users privacy, Telegram is a commercial product hosted in Dubai which  focusing on secured messaging and profit.

Telegram has not had the best track record in securing their customers information from breaches. Several security experts have criticised Telegram's original architecture however this has recently has been updated and may now be much improved.

Bbb

WhatsApp should make a information what they can now, and whay they will can later. The goal of FB is to mine and sell data, private data, people profiles. This is what they take and sell.

RPrior

Left wing management of Big Tech companies historically lack moral values and are often abusive of their Users interests.

As a former Guru for Price Waterhouse Management Consultants, my comments are objective.

The co-founder of WhatsApp, Brian Apton, fundamentally disagreed with Facebook's policies and quickly disassociated himself from WhatsApp after acquisition by Zuckerberg.

Apton invested $50m in Signal, a strictly non profit organisation committed to the privacy of its users.

The same issues apply to
Search Engines, Browsers, Simple messaging, Media Messaging & Social Media companies.

I cancelled my Facebook account several years ago, Twitter account a couple of weeks ago, WhatsApp account in transition to signal, Search engine to Duck, Duck Go after a year of Google manipulation of search engine results.

We are seeing a total rejection of the politicizing of Big Tech companies - and it is about time.

kony

Here, me, my wife and all my friends already moved to Telegram months ago (well, me and my wife sooner, but friends were always "why use something else, we already have Facebook/What'sAPp"). Now I literally don't know anyone below 50s who still uses them, but my parents (70s) and their peers still do, but they basically don't do anything there, they just have them.

It's a snowball they won't stop and that's great.

Crapola

Quote from: ariliquin on January 16, 2021, 23:15:28
Signal is a Not for Profit dedicated to users privacy, Telegram is a commercial product hosted in Dubai which  focusing on secured messaging and profit.

Telegram has not had the best track record in securing their customers information from breaches. Several security experts have criticised Telegram's original architecture however this has recently has been updated and may now be much improved.

Your comment is misleading.  Telegram has servers all over the world as do most large messaging apps.  Telegram is motivated by security and privacy and have never given up any data to law enforcement.  Telegram also has a bounty for anyone who can break the messaging security which includes server infrastructure. Despite many attempts, it has never been compromised. They are privately funded by two brothers.

Astar

Quote from: Crapola on January 17, 2021, 13:52:50

Your comment is misleading.  Telegram has servers all over the world as do most large messaging apps.  Telegram is motivated by security and privacy and have never given up any data to law enforcement.  Telegram also has a bounty for anyone who can break the messaging security which includes server infrastructure. Despite many attempts, it has never been compromised. They are privately funded by two brothers.

Your comment is TOTALLY POINTLESS and IRRELEVANT. Why do you even exist in this world when you can't even understand the issues here?

So what if Telegram has servers all over the world? So what if they claim to be motivated by privacy etc. - any company trying to make a buck will claim that?!? Zuckfark said the same thing when he acquired Whatsapp. So what if they are privately funded? All the more that they want to be PROFIT orientated to make back their investments! What are you on about? Are you their PR spin doctor? So what if they have a bounty? Google and Facebook offer some of the most lucrative bounties in the industry for bugs & vulnerabilities and they don't give a flying rat's a** fark about your privacy.

The biggest REASON why people should use Signal and not Telegram or Whatsapp etc. is also one which every comment here has totally missed - it is OPEN SOURCE! Anybody can peer review and examine their source code! I know you're too dumb to understand code but lots of experts and coders have done so and concluded that they are the best in class. So good, even Whatsapp uses Signal's encryption methods. The problem is that Facebook is being disingeneous with what they are trying to do. They are perusing metadata of Whatsapp users. Even if they can't read the messages or listen to the voice calls, the fact that they can piece together your metadata means that they can know a lot about you still such as your likes/dislikes and activity on the web such as what web links bring you to where. Your Facebook will then adapt and start feeding you targeted ads based on that.

Edward Snowden recommended Signal circa 2014 and I've been using it since. He said it years ago - no software can be trusted except when they are open source.

I really hope that the US law makers under a Democrat leadership can break Facebook up, including unwinding the Whatsapp acquisition. Its the only way to give Zuckbucks a bloody nose and end his arrogance once and for all.

ZODD

Quote from: Astar on January 17, 2021, 21:31:34

Your comment is TOTALLY POINTLESS and IRRELEVANT. Why do you even exist in this world when you can't even understand the issues here?

So what if Telegram has servers all over the world? So what if they claim to be motivated by privacy etc. - any company trying to make a buck will claim that?!? Zuckfark said the same thing when he acquired Whatsapp.So what if they have a bounty? Google and Facebook offer some of the most lucrative bounties in the industry for bugs & vulnerabilities and they don't give a flying rat's a** fark about your privacy.

The biggest REASON why people should use Signal and not Telegram or Whatsapp etc. is also one which every comment here has totally missed - it is OPEN SOURCE! Anybody can peer review and examine their source code! I know you're too dumb to understand code but lots of experts and coders have done so and concluded that they are the best in class. So good, even Whatsapp uses Signal's encryption methods. The problem is that Facebook is being disingeneous with what they are trying to do. They are perusing metadata of Whatsapp users. Even if they can't read the messages or listen to the voice calls, the fact that they can piece together your metadata means that they can know a lot about you still such as your likes/dislikes and activity on the web such as what web links bring you to where. Your Facebook will then adapt and start feeding you targeted ads based on that.

Edward Snowden recommended Signal circa 2014 and I've been using it since. He said it years ago - no software can be trusted except when they are open source.

I really hope that the US law makers under a Democrat leadership can break Facebook up, including unwinding the Whatsapp acquisition. Its the only way to give Zuckbucks a bloody nose and end his arrogance once and for all.

You come across as a a**.
Your right about a lot of things you posted but your condescending attitude is that of a little  spoiled child .

PaulM

Lol, as much as I want Facebook destroyed, the Democrats aren't going to break up their best propaganda allies.

VaruLV

Not going to use Telegram, knowing where it came from and who owns it, its gonna be just like with big tech in China, once the government of Russia "politely" asks for it, Telegram will be cooperating with them in no time. Thats just how apps that stem from shady countries work.

Laytloch

For me is interesting and quite disturbing that country like USA, who think about itself as a beacon of freedom is so inquisitive  about peoples life in any possible way.This is communism in pure form. Sad.

blackstone

Telegram doesn't have encrypted messages. No go
Signal is okay, but we know Acton at some point he is going to sell. There is no free lunch
THREEMA cost around 3$, is the most secure of them all and is swiss with swiss servers. It cost very little and as it is not free, they will never need to collect your data for monetization. Has all possible features you may wish. By far your best option !!!

tinTin

Quote from: Ahmad Dan-Hamidu on January 18, 2021, 06:43:26
With privacy violators like the Isreali company "NSO" and its spyware "Pegasus" running around, WhatsApp/Facebook are just during their grave deeper. I'll soon leave WhatsApp for Telegram too!
Lol..you can always count on a Muslim to come up with a reason to rough up Israelis. NSO is a rogue group that compromises the security of various devices and apps. They've also cracked an iPhone for the FBI before. If they can crack WhatsApp, you can be damn sure that they'll crack Telegram too. Also, Telegram isn't the Messiah that they've been made out to be.
They aren't open source, their security has been breached multiple times and experts have pointed out flaws in their security systems. Plus you don't know for sure that they're not gonna become/or already are like Facebook once they reach a very large no. of users.
Your best bet is Signal as it's open source, vetted by the actual founder of WhatsApp and after selling to Facebook, he's already learnt from his mistake and will come up with a better plan this time..

vertigo

Quote from: ZODD on January 17, 2021, 21:51:38

So what if Telegram has servers all over the world? So what if they claim to be motivated by privacy etc. - any company trying to make a buck will claim that?!? Zuckfark said the same thing when he acquired Whatsapp.So what if they have a bounty? Google and Facebook offer some of the most lucrative bounties in the industry for bugs & vulnerabilities and they don't give a flying rat's a** fark about your privacy.

You come across as a a**.
Your right about a lot of things you posted but your condescending attitude is that of a little  spoiled child .

Well said. I was going to post something similar. This isn't the only post like this I've seen from them. Apparently everyone that doesn't know everything about everything is an idiot, etc. Instead of actually being civil and using it as an opportunity to teach people, they act like an *** and just cause people to move on without even reading it.

Quote from: blackstone on January 18, 2021, 13:58:48
Telegram doesn't have encrypted messages. No go
Signal is okay, but we know Acton at some point he is going to sell. There is no free lunch
THREEMA cost around 3$, is the most secure of them all and is swiss with swiss servers. It cost very little and as it is not free, they will never need to collect your data for monetization. Has all possible features you may wish. By far your best option !!!

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Telegram does have encryption, it's just disabled by default, which is what people really have a problem with. And as for Threema, I looked into them before, and while I don't remember my findings, I do remember I wasn't terribly impressed and decided against using their service.

Signal is the best option from a strictly privacy and security standpoint, but it has a lot of issues. In fact, I've been using it for years but have recently pretty much given up on it. The protocol is good, but the implementation not so much. Hopefully with the recent shift in people's attitudes about all of this (it's about time) there will be more alternatives created using Signal's encryption. Competition is almost always a good thing, after all.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview