News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Actually, abandoning Max-Q makes a lot of sense. Here are our top 3 reasons why Nvidia is finally getting rid of it

Started by Redaktion, January 28, 2021, 05:43:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt C

I'd be really interested in an article on Whisper Mode 2.0 when you have a selection of 30-series laptops to compare.

Specifically, if I want a laptop with decent performance that doesn't make too much noise, should I buy a laptop with a low TDP (traditional Max-Q design) or one with a high TDP & configure it to run at lower performance in the software?

While I'm not looking forward to the confusion about what power a given GPU can support, the potential of a Max-P laptop with a Max-Q option when needed sounds perfect.

Furnace lake

Classic allen ngo giving me a good laugh and disinforming every living creature on Earth

Tbh, partially I still visit this website because of his carptastic articles. Good job

fsdfsdf

One thing that a lot of angry people in this thread don't understand is that gpu barely guarantees anything by itself. The only thing we should care about is actual level of performance we get for our money. And this depends mainly on two factors: target temperature (cpu, gpu, and chassis itself) set  by manufacturer and corresponding noise level generated by fans (basically level of heat dissipation by particular chassis).

That is why these two mentioned laptops are great example:
comparable noise level during gaming: 54.1 db for Asus and 53 db Razer, and surface temperature 34.1 °C Asus and 35.4 °C Razer. But they deliver around the same fps numbers and average gpu core frequency, even though Razer employs 100W version of gpu and low-power gpu memory, and Asus instead features full 115W mobile 2070. The only difference is in average gpu temperature (74 vs 70: this allow nvidia gpu to boost higher), that is why lower temperature on Razer and less memory energy budget catch up with 15W tdp deficit. And, of course, the fact that Razer was tested with optimus disabled.

This is also why best implementations of 2060 115W like MSI GE75 Raider 10SE and cheap Walmart EVOO Gaming 17 perform on par with at least two laptops with full 2070 like ASUS ROG Strix SCAR III G731GW and Asus Strix Scar III G531GW, and also better than at least 15 others with 2070 Max-Q.

THIS IS A MESS. Consumers are just duped by manufactures every god damn time. It's like laptops manufacturing is an ART and no one can judge them objectively with a tangible score. The one we see here, at notebookcheck, is barely ok. What all these numbers tell us? Nothing really. How would one buy just the best ones?

I wonder when reviews would stop being just a stupid flavor reviews. There is a clear need to devise a proper comparison methodology. No amount of certification from nvidia with labels and perceived QA will guarantee anything. We may only know this for sure after proper analysis is performed and not just numbers are measured.

So it is going to be interesting when this all will be understood and implemented fully. Nvidia's policy change just forces this and opens our eyes on how much trust we should have for manufacturers really.

ChinaLiedPeopleDied

ComputerBase (those racist kebab heads who delete your comments if it contains China, Taiwan, freedom, independence or democracy) claim that the minimum for CPUs in laptops for gaming is 6 cores, better 8.

Maybe the 8 core i7 could process more GPU commands thanks to higher bandwidth?

Spunjji

Well, given that apparently this is officially not paid content, I guess it's just an example of some painfully bad motivated reasoning.

Nvidia abandoning Max-Q branding would only improve things if they had replaced it with a way for the customer to actually know what they're getting - only, they haven't. Instead, they've abdicated any duty of care to the end user and made an already-bad situation worse.

Previously the "Max-Q" branding at least acted as a kind of warning that you were getting an overpriced chip that would under-perform for its class. The existence of "Max-P" designs with insufficient power delivery and cooling to reach their rated performance complicated things, but it was entirely within Nvidia's power to implement some regulations that would prevent that.

Instead, they've gone and made it clear that they don't give a s*** about the experience of the end-user. At least they aren't trying to dress it up as an improvement, unlike Allen Ngo. 🤷‍♂️

Myst

Class masterstroke from Allen. I come to NBC only to read funny and retarded articles. No serious content here.

It is tough to find a flip-flop artist and apologist like Allen. Congratulations Nvidia, you found your guy, who is trolling others on your behalf, for free!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview