News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft Surface Laptop Go Review: An Overpriced Netbook

Started by Redaktion, October 24, 2020, 21:18:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Are you happy with just 4 GB of soldered RAM and 64 GB of storage? If so, then the $550 USD Surface Laptop Go might be worthwhile. For everyone else, look elsewhere and don't turn back.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-Laptop-Go-Review-An-Overpriced-Netbook.498859.0.html

Achim

Thank you for being so direct about the soldered 4 GB RAM and telling it like it is. Such an honest opinion is hard to find on review sites.

Yusuf

The i5 1035G1 have lower benchmark Cinebench R15 than the 4 core 4 threads found on the Ryzen 3 4300U in Acer Swift 3, and also have lower FPS in games.
The battery also longer for Acer Swift 3 Ryzen 3 4300U, lasting longer than the difference of battery capacity.
You get lower price in Acer Swift 3 Ryzen 3 4300U.
Why this Microsoft Surface Laptop Go so expensive?

Achim

Quote from: Yusuf on October 25, 2020, 16:49:28
You get lower price in Acer Swift 3 Ryzen 3 4300U.
Why this Microsoft Surface Laptop Go so expensive?

As much as I would never buy a 4 GB laptop, I would not dare to compare an Acer with a Surface laptop.

I'd hazard a guess and state that the difference in CPU or GPU power between Ryzen 4xxxU and i5-10XXXGX is inconsequential for most users.

And due to the Surface laptop's 3:2 aspect ratio screen, the device is considerably narrower than the Acer while having just as much vertical screen size.

Also, esthetics are subjective, but I would say the Surface is in a different league in terms of looks.

quynhchi179

I love you Surface laptop go. I don't think. Microsoft make computer. But surface is very good.
https://linhkienlaptop.net/  pin laptop, Pin Dell, Pin Asus, Pin Hp, Pin lenovo, Pin acer, ban phim laptop, ban phim Dell, ban phim Asus, ban phim Hp, ban phim lenovo, ban phim acer

RyDog

The display has curved edges like a phone, which go against the Windows 10 UI design, and the screen is so low res they look spikey rather than smooth.

ian

if you value portability with a solid ice lake processor, this could be worth it. it's a good bit smaller than most 13.3" machines with similar processors. i'd go for the 16gb version (only available in the business store)- it's expensive, but unique for its size.

superduperzzy

Part of the premium pricing is because it the Go, along with all of the other Surface devices, has some of the best designed touch pads in the business, second only to Apple. I'm surprised there is no mention of this in your review, as it is the most used component on any laptop.

peter4466

For me, build quality is more important than performance difference. I did not found 12" laptop in this price range with such good screen, best in class keyboard, best touchpad, half metal design, great build quality and outstanding portability. There are more factors than pure numbers.

Of course, I agree, that 4GB and small storage version is a joke and should just be removed from market. But higher versions are good enough.

Diogenes

I feel this review, especially the byline is completely unfair.  For one, the performance is way better than any netbook with a relatively recent comet-lake i5.  The emmc version with 4gb of ram does suck but they were sticking a pricepoint like many companies do nowadays with their low-end devices.  I have the 8gb 128gb model and it performs fantastic for my needs.  I needed a very portable secondary device to do stuff like check emails and edit gopro photage.  The surface laptop go is more than adequate for this in every way, much better than the surface go tablet 8gb/128gb that it is replacing.

A very great little device that doesn't make too many compromises for portability.  It's also by far the cheapest surface device with active cooling now. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview