News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Legion 5i 16 G9 review - The fast gaming laptop with Raptor Lake-HX and an AI engine

Started by Redaktion, January 31, 2024, 13:04:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

At this year's CES, Lenovo presented its new Legion 5i 16 G9 and we have already had the chance to test the new mid-range gaming laptop. Its new Core i7-14650HX in combination with the RTX 4060 Laptop power a fast 240-Hz QHD panel. Of course, AI functions are also on board in the year 2024—but to no effect.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Legion-5i-16-G9-review-The-fast-gaming-laptop-with-Raptor-Lake-HX-and-an-AI-engine.798236.0.html

NikoB

What do we have for a monstrous $1750 for this class of laptops?

Let's start with the main one - the supposedly "gaming" class. This is initially a pure lie from Lenovo, because... The laptop is not capable of delivering stable 60fps in any modern game in ultra settings in the native screen resolution of 2.5K.

Second. Screen - I don't believe in this author's numbers for native contrast and am sure that they do not correspond to real ones. The typical contrast declared by Lenovo is 1200:1. Focus on a mediocre (for 2024) contrast of 1100:1. Those. You definitely won't get 1500:1 as a buyer with this model.

The response of the panel is shameful and Lenovo is directly lying about 240Hz. 1/240 = 4-5ms. We see in the review shameful figures of 8-12ms, i.e. the real speed of image redrawing does not exceed 100-110Hz, even in an office 2D load, for example, with banal text scrolling in Word and browser. HDR support here is 100% fake (screen panels are not DCI-P3 coated), as is DV. The 165Hz version doesn't even have these labels.

Go ahead. It's 2024, Intel/AMD SoCs have long had built-in 2.5Gbps ports, and the price of an external 5Gbps controller is a penny, but greedy Lenovo again installed an antique 1Gbps RJ45 port from back in 1999 in the car for a monstrous $1,750.

According to the Intel datasheet, the SoC 14650HX does NOT have built-in TB4 ports, but at this price it was not difficult to add an external controller. Let me remind you that external TB3 controllers were available in laptops for $800 in 2018...

The processor consumption is monstrous (including at rest) and everything is clear here - despite the obvious optimization of the new version of the old Raptor cores (this is not Meteor Lake, alas), Intel processors still consume a monstrous amount of energy, which becomes a consequence of extreme noise, even in office load.

With good performance in CBR15 in PL1 mode with a consumption of 100W, however, this "new" Intel processor still shamefully loses even to the AMD 7840U, running at 32W in AIDA FP64 Ray-Trace Test:
www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P14s-G4-AMD-review-fast-portable-straightforward.795741.0.html
7840U PL1 32W - 2090+ in CBR15 / AIDA64-FP64 Ray-Trace - 11132 KRay/s vs. 10316 KRay/s for 14650HX...

Moving on... the optimization of the 14650HX memory controller is simply disgusting! Lenovo and Intel have definitely embarrassed themselves. The efficiency of the memory controller is much lower than 75%. Which is usually typical for AMD SoC memory controllers.
Let me remind you that Intel itself claims 89GB/s performance when installing 5600 modules - compare these declarations with real numbers and average them...

Now about Lenovo's lies in psref:
The HDMI 2.1 port, even in FRL6 mode, does NOT support 8k monitors in lossless mode! This is physically impossible - only with data loss in DSC mode. Future owners should keep this in mind.

Also an obvious failure is the absolutely shameful card reader, 12 years old in terms of speed. And the shameful 1080p camera without autofocus, which does not match the native screen resolution.

What could justify the $1,750 price tag?
64Gb of RAM and 2TB SSD or 32GB and 4TB SSD.
Or 32GB/2TB + RJ45 port at 5Gbps or a TB5 port or two TB4 with an external controller, especially since Intel declares arbitrary support (at the request of the motherboard manufacturer) pci-e 4.0 or 5.0.

I also draw attention to the shame of Intel - despite the fact that DP2.0 ports were adopted as a standard in the distant pre-concentration camp and pre-war 2019, 5 years later neither Intel nor AMD can still offer consumers ports of this standard! The SoC 14650HX for laptops in 2024 features shamefully outdated DP1.4b!!! Goodbye 8k monitors and in 2024...

Thank you for your attention.

Neenyah

Lol this is absurd; Legion 5 non-Pro series was always a joke but now is 2024 and there is still no Thunderbolt?? 🤡

Not only that you can't use eGPU, but with its 10Gbps fastest USB port you can't use any of those super-fast external SSDs either, like the Crucial P5 Plus (you can get 4.7 GB/s with it on average over Thunderbolt, here 1.2 GB/s at most).

It is large and heavy-ish with weak battery life so you can't really carry it around with you on the go and without Thunderbolt you get very limited options to add external screen(s). The laptop itself is good pretty much just for games where it's going to be obsolete in less than two years given the fact that it's unable to hold 60+ fps native without DLSS in 40% of tested games (and with eGPU it would be cruising at 100+ fps maxed details in those same games). It is not even quiet under load!! What a joke.

This is not better than a 500€ cheaper LOQ 15 (no, 16:10 is not worth to pay 500€ over 16:9 when you can get a 16:18 external LG DualUp 28" for 550€).

Way to go to waste 1600€ on this crap, yuck...

user1792379810

This looks power hungry and loud compared to similar laptops with Ryzen 7840HS... let's wait for the AMD version.

LL

The x86 laptop industry continues to fail in several issues and this one is suffering from continued Intel issues and Nvidia consumption in idle and memory policies.  The dreadful latency values also show fundamental problems.

Laptop makers need to have a competitive and ambitious vision for what they want to offer clients. As things stand i would say x86 have not much more than 5 years of live in it.

We are in 2024 and my phone with an Oled screen can play a 4K movie or mp3 without any noise and this one that costs several times more can't.

LL

In my opinion one of the reasons for the thermal failure is that evacuation channels to the side are absent, only exist those to the rear.

Compare the noise with 2021 Lenovo 5 17 at time Lenovo still build glorious 17.3"... reviewed by notebookcheck.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview