News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP Omen 15 laptop Review: Strong AMD processor makes Intel tremble

Started by Redaktion, January 02, 2021, 07:33:16

Previous topic - Next topic

boojor

Quote from: davszermeta on January 05, 2021, 17:19:14
Quote from: John Smith on January 04, 2021, 18:05:18
Quote from: Grinnie Jax on January 04, 2021, 07:07:41
Intel cash doesn't smell, right, HP? Why supply the AMD model with such a crappy display? 58% sRGB and 40% AdobeRGB display coupled with such excellent CPU and decent GPU is nonsense.
This display is their lowest end option. For an extra $150, you can get a 300 nit, 72% NTSC (100% sRGB), low response time (around 10 ms), 300hz panel, which is their highest end offering. Considering it's only a $150 upgrade, it's worth it. But I do agree, selling a GAMING laptop with such a crappy display is disrespectful to the consumer, since they're going  to have a horrible gaming experience.
And this is the reason why this display shouldn't get 83%!!!
if all the reviewers started to properly assess the quality of displays, maybe it would change something for the producers, and so we have a better equipment, because how else to call this crap, which according to notebookcheck obtained 83%... 83% that is quite good isn't it...
I've used a laptop with a 1366x768 TN panel, that has 220 nit brightness, 58% sRGB, delta E of 25, and a contrast ratio of 650:1 for over 2 and a half years. Also, it had intel UHD 620 with a 8265U. I had a perfectly reasonable gaming experience. I would say that the GPU would be the thing to upgrade, not the display. The display I had was way worse than this (TN vs. IPS) and I was happy playing video games on it, like World of Tanks, Minecraft, Forza Motorsport 6, and others. Minded, I had to decrease the settings to minimum, but I did have a good experience. This laptop with a good GPU and display that's much better when compared to what I had is a really good combo. NBC rates displays based on their entire scale. This includes laptops from like 7 years ago that had 100nit brightness and 40% sRGB. That's why the percentages are so high, even for a display that would seem to you as crap.

GCC

Hi NBC,

There is a case for this particular machine's chasis design. When used as a DR with monitor attached and lid closed, the recessed keyboard allows for better cooling than the Lenovo Leagion 5 for example.

Could you do a short article comparing DR class laptops in a closed lid temperature comparison test? Please.

_MT_

Quote from: Grinnie Jax on January 04, 2021, 07:07:41
Intel cash doesn't smell, right, HP? Why supply the AMD model with such a crappy display? 58% sRGB and 40% AdobeRGB display coupled with such excellent CPU and decent GPU is nonsense.
They do offer more than one display. It seems like all the models advertised around here use the 144 Hz screen. The real problem is that you can't actually buy one. There is zero stock and if you order one, it appears it might be delivered in April. No guarantees. Good luck with that.

NikoB

HP Omen 2020 have terrible keyboard in AMD version - no normal digital block, same bad, as old Lenovo Y series.

Low configuration have bad IPS. Legion 5 always good IPS in cheapest version.

Legion 5 "Best Laptop 2020".

Xardas1

Great review but I'm a bit confused about the display. Ive heard that the colour gamut and everything display-wise is very good ( from reviewers on YouTube ) but now I've read that AMD based Omen doesnt have a very good display.
Sorry and thanks in advance!
Once again, great review!

bairlangga

Just to add info that my OMEN Laptop - 15-en0013ax is equipped with the LG Philips screen LGD05FE. The same screen with the HP Pavilion 15 reviewed in this site (search it).

Quite a nice screen I must say. Consider me lucky.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview