News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The scourge of fully soldered and non-upgradeable laptops

Started by Redaktion, October 05, 2020, 18:36:37

Previous topic - Next topic

shecho

Been using NotebookCheck for a loooong time but never registered until I've read this post and had to write my opinion, like so many others.
Laptops with soldiered RAM, such as those with starting price 450-500 euro/dollars, are to be considered trash and any such laptop in my mind is prone to faster failure. Look at it for another perspective, not enough QA / QC done on those or serialized and / or pumped up manufacture just so that the companies reach certain shareholder goals.
Have been a power user for 28+yrs and when it comes to new equipment I spend significant time to make sure that "most" of components are good for my use (AMD/INTEL) but RAM and STORAGE upgrades are a must for me. I understand that lot of people want thinner and lighter devices, but coming from the age of "peeking under the hood" or being involved in actual computer builds (read starting to get old or millennial :)) for me soldered components, glued up portions do not make any appeal and I steer away from those as much as possible. I control the flow of upgrades of my electronic devices and I use them in a way that I want until their EOL.
In the end it is a choice just like everyone's else.

YUVARAJ VELMURUGAN

Soldered component is probably cheaper than socketed. When components are soldered directly to the motherboard, it's probably easier to make it run fast, since the impedance and everything is much better with a short solder joint compared to long copper traces and sockets that degrade the signals. Components are placed and soldered by automated machines which reduces cost. Reducing sockets would reduce hight inturn allow the laptop to go sleek. When i buy a product I knew the spec i need. Afterall Technology evolves every 2 year's.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview