News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

First GeForce RTX 3080 benchmarks by NVIDIA showcase insane 100 percent performance gains over the GeForce RTX 2080: Control and Minecraft with RTX blaze past 4K/60 FPS

Started by Redaktion, September 01, 2020, 20:03:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

During the NVIDIA GeForce Ampere RTX 3000 series launch, NVIDIA unveiled benchmarks for the GeForce RTX 3080 which indicate that its claim of a 2x performance improvement wasn't sleight of hand. The GeForce RTX 3080 appears to genuinely double the RTX 2080's performance level, even in a game without ray-tracing or DLSS.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/First-GeForce-RTX-3080-benchmarks-by-NVIDIA-showcase-insane-100-percent-performance-gains-over-the-GeForce-RTX-2080-Control-and-Minecraft-with-RTX-blaze-past-4K-60-FPS.491240.0.html

useranin123

It's all lies and speculations, until we can see independent benchmarks.
Which will probably be less than spectacular, or insane, as you say.
Perhaps you should refrain from using such silly words?

VideoCardManPerson

That Guy

Alex544

stupid AMD fans at it again.. according to them, benchmarks from any company that isn't AMD is misleading and bullshit.

remember AMD's bullshit claim that the 4800H is 39% better than the 9750H in gaming?

Justin Witter

So I think everyone already knew this generation with it's improved hardware that ray tracing would be less of a performance hit, but the inclusion of boderlands 3 being the only rtx off (one of the worst optimized games in the history of games) puts up a serious red flag for me about just how much of an improvement this generation is. Why not give us something we all know like Witcher3, GTAV or even AC Odyssey? Will we just see the typical 10-20fps we usually see? Not buying what Nvidia is selling here.. Don't sell your 1080ti on ebay just yet.. I really don't see much differnce with RTX on or RTX off except for my frame rate.. it's cool for a minute but then your eyes just get used to it, and it's just another really good looking puddle you don't notice anymore

Alex544

Quote from: Justin Witter on September 02, 2020, 01:40:56
So I think everyone already knew this generation with it's improved hardware that ray tracing would be less of a performance hit, but the inclusion of boderlands 3 being the only rtx off (one of the worst optimized games in the history of games) puts up a serious red flag for me about just how much of an improvement this generation is. Why not give us something we all know like Witcher3, GTAV or even AC Odyssey? Will we just see the typical 10-20fps we usually see? Not buying what Nvidia is selling here.. Don't sell your 1080ti on ebay just yet.. I really don't see much differnce with RTX on or RTX off except for my frame rate.. it's cool for a minute but then your eyes just get used to it, and it's just another really good looking puddle you don't notice anymore

Well, raytracing is just the icing on the cake. With or without improvements to raytracing, it's still a pretty big performance jump according to leaked benchmarks.

JustNiz

All the evidence points to when Jensen Huang said "Ampere is 2X as powerful" he was actually ONLY TALKING ABOUT RTX/DLSS GAMING.  nVidia apparently have embargos about which games reviewers can even talk about in connection with 30x0 performance. See the hands-on review on Eurogamer. Its almost certainly no coincidence that the few games they can talk about the performance of, are all RTX games.
Why would nVidia force comparisons based only on raytracing performance?  (i.e. stuff nearly all games don't even use?) Almost certainly because that's Ampere's only 2X gain over Turing, which is hardly surprising since RTX was first introducead on Turing, so was still first-gen, He's also trying to make RTX the new 'normal' because AMD still doesn't even support raytracing or AI anything at all. As soon as independent reviewers start publishing actual benchmarks, I expect 3080 will actually be a far more usual generational performance improvement with any game you actually have or want to play (from all nVidia history that's about 1.3X, i.e. FAR from the magical 2X number Jensen kept pushing), especially when raw performance testing (i.e. not using any AI 'tricks' like actually rendering at much lower resolutions then upscaling with DLSS )

InCole

Quote from: JustNiz on September 02, 2020, 21:50:30
All the evidence points to when Jensen Huang said "Ampere is 2X as powerful" he was actually ONLY TALKING ABOUT RTX/DLSS GAMING.  nVidia apparently have embargos about which games reviewers can even talk about in connection with 30x0 performance.

A few things you are overlooking (or perhaps you did not watch the presentation by Nvidia?)

The RTX 3080 is CHEAPER than a RTX 2080 even and half the price of a RTX 2080ti while yet offering (according to Nvidia) up to 2x performance boost at 4K

Nvidia did release the actual specs of these cards as well and in terms of raw non-RT processing power it has more or less double that of an RTX 2080 Ti in addition to featuring faster memory.

So it only goes logical to presume that with double raw processing power & faster memory that even non-RT games will achieve a performance boost anywhere between 50 to 100 percent versus an RTX 2080 Ti

Which to be honest is quite impressive especially at the price point that the RTX 3080 is releasing at and that is Founders Ed. pricing. Third party cards will be even cheaper from many brands.

Only people playing at 1080p have no benefit of going for a RTX 3080 if they are already on a RTX 20x0 range but if they are still on GTX 1000 series or anything like that then a RTX 3070 for example is very interesting as it is cheaper than AMD and RTX 2000 series cards and yet amazing performance.

In my case I built a new PC December 2019 with an RTX 2080. Initially I was on 1080p but I have since bought a 144 Hz 1440p monitor. Some games are fine but even games like Apex Legends the performance at 1440p leaves somewhat to be desired. Thus I will be buying an RTX 3080 founders edition even (pending actual reviews and benchmarks - especially temps and stuff I want to see as Asus and other brands have put 3 slot cooling designs on theirs while founders is only 2 slot).

Bob Small

LOL

Not sure why the AMD and nVidia fanboys have so much hatred for the other side.

Technological progress is always good. Competition is always good.

Besides, most people don't need the latest/greatest/fastest video card. A midrange one more than meets their needs. They don't care about benchmark scores. Don't waste your life worrying about silly things.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview