News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

All-core 4.3 GHz at 28 W — Intel announces the 11th gen Tiger Lake lineup for laptops: Full specs, SKUs, and preliminary performance comparison

Started by Redaktion, September 02, 2020, 13:34:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Mate

I dont think we will see 8cores 15W CPUs from Intel anytime soon. You cant just pack 100 cores in chip and set TDP to 15W. All cores require energy and chip designer needs to make sure single-core performance is not crippled(which can happen if you have too many cores with too low TDP). From what I read AMD planned Renoir lineup to be max 6 cores CPUs but they added 2 cores after they realized that TSMC manufacturing process is very energy efficient.   Maybe Intel will add 2 more cores, but 4 will be clearly too much.

sigh

Quote from: Mate on September 03, 2020, 09:04:49
I dont think we will see 8cores 15W CPUs from Intel anytime soon. You cant just pack 100 cores in chip and set TDP to 15W. All cores require energy and chip designer needs to make sure single-core performance is not crippled(which can happen if you have too many cores with too low TDP). From what I read AMD planned Renoir lineup to be max 6 cores CPUs but they added 2 cores after they realized that TSMC manufacturing process is very energy efficient.   Maybe Intel will add 2 more cores, but 4 will be clearly too much.

28W TGL can probably use another set of cores so it doesn't run in the inefficient region during the 28s 50W multithreaded turbo. When the power budget decreases to 15W, the 4 cores aren't deep into the inefficient region so adding more cores has diminishing returns.

Renoir has the same issue with 8C in 15W, but you just don't see it in short benchmark runs because they do 40W for 30s and then 25W+ for 5 minutes before finally dropping down to 15W.

ttlim

Quote from: vertigo on September 02, 2020, 23:19:32
If I've misinterpreted or otherwise misunderstood something, please let me know, but as of right now, based on this article I'll probably be looking for an AMD laptop over TL, all else being equal.

We need to evaluate TGL as a total platform solution, rather just Cinebench multicore benchmark.

TGL laptop performance per watt, battery life, responsiveness, stability, AI, GNA, the ability to power multi 4k monitors, Wifi6.....all this has to be examine in totality.

Is Cinebench a good gauge meter for our daily Chrome browser, Word, Outlook, Python programming....usage?

vertigo

Quote from: ttlim on September 03, 2020, 15:38:34
Quote from: vertigo on September 02, 2020, 23:19:32
If I've misinterpreted or otherwise misunderstood something, please let me know, but as of right now, based on this article I'll probably be looking for an AMD laptop over TL, all else being equal.

We need to evaluate TGL as a total platform solution, rather just Cinebench multicore benchmark.

TGL laptop performance per watt, battery life, responsiveness, stability, AI, GNA, the ability to power multi 4k monitors, Wifi6.....all this has to be examine in totality.

Is Cinebench a good gauge meter for our daily Chrome browser, Word, Outlook, Python programming....usage?

True, and I mentioned that in my second post, but it also proves my point: the big picture is what matters, but Intel themselves are showcasing TL by doing benchmarks that compare raw CPU/GPU performance. It's in their best interest to put their best foot forward, and they're doing so by showing this narrow picture instead of the big picture, further exacerbated by the fact the benchmarks are comparing TL in a (likely ideal) test system to CL/IL/Ryzen in (often compromising) production systems. Yes, all the other stuff has to be examined and taken into account, too, but we don't have that right now. All we have is this, and it's not very impressive. If it turns out battery life hasn't improved or, as was sometimes the case with CL/IL, actually gets worse over the previous generation, then it will be worse than unimpressive, it'll be sad. OTOH, if they manage to improve battery life by say 10-20% (almost certainly unrealistic, but I can hope) in addition to these meager performance gains, then I'll be excited. But as it is, just going off what info is currently available, TL appears to be roughly equivalent to current-gen AMD offerings, and I'd personally bet that Cezanne will outperform it similar to, if not more than, Renoir outperforms CL/IL.

And, of course, since we have to consider the whole package, we have to take cost into account, and most people don't want to pay a couple hundred dollars more for a chip that performs the same or worse. Even if Cezanne only manages to match TL (which I would be very surprised if that's all they manage), it would still be better based on cost, especially if they have USB 4 with Thunderbolt. Of course, TL may offer certain unique extras that some people prefer, and for those people they'll go with it because of that, but most people will be better served with Ryzen.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview