News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

New research challenges the theory that dark mode on OLED saves battery on a smartphone

Started by Redaktion, August 01, 2021, 16:47:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

AMOLED and UIs with dark modes have skyrocketed in popularity in the smartphone market over the years, mainly based on the idea that both are easier on battery life, particularly when combined. A new study published by Purdue University engineers question this rationale, albeit under certain conditions only.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-research-challenges-the-theory-that-dark-mode-on-OLED-saves-battery-on-a-smartphone.553003.0.html

sss

wonder if they accounted for the fact that a lot of "dark modes" aren't truly dark modes, but more like grey modes.

Eric

A 3-9% savings in electricity usage is great! Why editorialize it as a small or insignificant savings?! In almost any industry, in almost any metric, engineers would kill for a 3-9% improvement attained so easily!

Eric

kek

Quote from: Eric on August 02, 2021, 01:57:28
Besides, even if it saved NO electricity, I'd still demand it, because it saves my EYES!

I can tell you without any doubt that the AMOLED low PWM will do more damage to your eyes than using dark mode on a good quality LCD.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview