News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple MacBook: First ARM MacBook may have up to 20 hours battery life, an A14X Bionic chipset and 16 GB of RAM, but also a 720p webcam and a butterfly keyboard

Started by Redaktion, July 31, 2020, 18:26:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apple is planning to equip its first ARM-powered MacBook with an A14X Bionic, according to a new rumour. The in-house chipset will be paired with up to 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD, along with a 720p webcam and a 4th generation butterfly keyboard. Between 15 and 20 hours of battery life beckons for the new 12-inch MacBook, too.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-First-ARM-MacBook-may-have-up-to-20-hours-battery-life-an-A14X-Bionic-chipset-and-16-GB-of-RAM-but-also-a-720p-webcam-and-a-butterfly-keyboard.483738.0.html

Graham

I have doubts that this source has any real leads. all those specs anyone can guess at, the butterfly keyboard has proven to be not well received so i can't see them re-using it, and the whole covid thing has brought unwelcome attention to the poor quality camera.

S.Yu

DexterY

Molap

The amount of misinformation around is unreal.  Apple already confirmed they are not using A bionic chips, the mac chips will have their own line of chips with a different letter so the A14X is definitely not going to be used in any mac, something more powerful will be used.

Rico Mico

Quote from: Molap on August 01, 2020, 12:39:17
The amount of misinformation around is unreal.  Apple already confirmed they are not using A bionic chips, the mac chips will have their own line of chips with a different letter so the A14X is definitely not going to be used in any mac, something more powerful will be used.

You are completely right, they could listen from me a lot more exact info as from these sources.

The new Mac will take the Air line at the beginning and later the MBP, the chips will be from A14-family but a lot bigger and specially a lot more TDP, which will result on at least 1.5 - 2 times more performance as the iPad Pro (A14X) version.

So as a resume, expect:
- MBA- style laptop
- 1080p Webcam
- ARM A14- family up to 2x faster than the next iPad Pro
- around whole day battery life
- led screen
- thunderbolt 3

Next year MBP with ARM and microLED screens.

Ray-kun

Quote from: Rico Mico on August 01, 2020, 16:57:05
Quote from: Molap on August 01, 2020, 12:39:17

You are completely right, they could listen from me a lot more exact info as from these sources.

The new Mac will take the Air line at the beginning and later the MBP, the chips will be from A14-family but a lot bigger and specially a lot more TDP, which will result on at least 1.5 - 2 times more performance as the iPad Pro (A14X) version.

So as a resume, expect:
- MBA- style laptop
- 1080p Webcam
- ARM A14- family up to 2x faster than the next iPad Pro
- around whole day battery life
- led screen
- thunderbolt 3

Next year MBP with ARM and microLED screens.
There will be no microLED screens. but miniLED screens, then maybe yes.

ChrisGX

How incredibly naive people posting here are. Do you imagine that Apple would lose something by turning out a Macbook with performance in the same bracket as the A14X (tablet) SoC? And, why wouldn't Apple do that? Are you aware that two Macbooks Air SKUs, i.e. the Core i5-1030NG7 and the Core i3-1000NG4, offer no more performance today than was already attained two years ago when using the A12X/Z SoC? Now, the performance of the A14X will be far superior to the A12X/Z and power consumption will probably be below the level of the mentioned Intel chips. It would make perfect sense to introduce fanless Mabooks powered by Apple silicon first. Fanless Macbooks with A14Xish performance would present a very compelling case when contrasted with Macbooks and Windows laptops with Intel's lacklustre low power processors inside.

The A14X, despite other comments here, would be an excellent starting point for a fanless laptop SoC. The only thing missing really is a sufficient complement of PCIe lanes for device connectivity but Apple might simply elect to add those to the SoC. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview