News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus TUF A15 FA506 with AMD Renoir SoC offers great value for its price

Started by Redaktion, June 14, 2020, 21:28:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

For less than 1300 Euros (~$1470), buyers receive a gaming laptop that is equipped with AMD's octa-core processor and an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060. In our review, the TUF A15 FA506 often outperforms its strong competition.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-TUF-A15-FA506-with-AMD-Renoir-SoC-offers-great-value-for-its-price.469617.0.html

DavidSoder

Why isn't there more talk about why amd cpus isn't coupled with a better gfx card than a 2060? What's the deal there anyway?

Josh

Wasnt this laptop is the one hardware unboxed bashed? The laptop is intentionally shooting itself in the foot with the thermal design to throttle the CPU down. Not to mention the screen is also really bad color accuracy and gtg wise. ASUS certainly did a misstep when designing this laptop, and ASUS's competitor made way better ryzen laptop. Tldr; look for an alternative, MSI made a good ryzen laptop for similar price with better cooling for example

Daniel Lee Ridenhour

I'm really interested in the full review of the A15.  From what I've read / heard its a pretty nice bit of kit for its price point.    The G14 improves most of its shortcomings but also costs hundreds more. 

Josh,   from what i've seen the G15 is the model that intentionally closes air ports and causes itself all kinds of thermal problems.   It will be interesting to see how the A15 fairs.   The screen isn't all that color accurate,  thats one of the big negatives on this device IMO although I liked the screen on the one I saw at microcenter just fine.  No complaints in the real world.    As for MSI... their model has a better screen but its also got an ATI graphics card.  Depending on your application that matters... I use nvidia specific tools so ATI isn't even in the running for me. 

Redaktion,  the official line on the no better graphics than the 2060 is that the higher end cards require additional testing / certification that takes time which has kept them out of the initial releases.  The unofficial line is that Intel is throwing their weight around delaying certifications so if you want a higher end GPU the only game in town will be Intel chips in spite of their performance inferiority.     

Timothy Chan

Bought the one with Ryzen 5 4600u with rtx 1650ti for my college going kid. Expecting some light gaming with durability. Running GTA makes the laptop overheat. It'll hit 100°C if you push it!!! Really bad thermal management design. It's not AMD's fault. Took off the bottom panel, the max temp is about 58°C. Nice specs, bad design.

Otniel Yoreiza

Too bad the IPS panel color is really poor. sRGB and adobe RGB coverage really low

Aaron L

Huh.  Got one of these a couple weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it so far.  I nabbed the Ryzen 7 (4800h?) with the RTX 2060 and 16G RAM.  I'm upgrading from my old desktop, so I'm easily impressed at this point.  I've not checked my stats while gaming, but I've been playing Star Wars Battlefront II nightly with max settings.  Everything is smooth and responsive.  The fans get whooshy, but nothing awful.  My partner watches TV on the couch next to me while I'm gaming.  The keyboard/upper deck never gets overly warm to the touch, but it sure does kick out the heat from the vents...including on the right hand side.  I don't use the mouse close enough to be bothered, but it could get warm, I suppose.

The screen was the biggest cut corner that I've noticed, but it's adequate for most of my uses.  I do occasionally edit photos and if I'm editing for prints, I just plug my old desktop monitor in to the HDMI (you could also use the USB C port).  Color accuracy is just fine for gaming, web consumption, and movies.  We stream most movies to the TV, so that's been a non-issue as well.  I literally don't notice a difference until I plug my external monitor in an compare them.

For the price (I only paid $1200 USD), it's a fantastic deal.  Many of the other laptops I shopped were more expensive for slower Intel cpu's and GTX cards.  I could not find anything better in this price range.  It also sports a fairly subdued design for a "gaming" laptop that I appreciate.  I've not done a run-down test on the battery yet, but I hear it does pretty good.

amdftw

Asus TUF is crippled by design and intended by design to be worse than any higher tier series.
notebookcheck.net/How-ROG-improves-gaming-performance-by-up-to-20-Hint-it-s-cool.461347.0.html

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview