News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon G7 2020 Laptop Review: Same Look, New Processor

Started by Redaktion, March 30, 2020, 06:22:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo has swapped out the older Whiskey Lake-U CPU for a newer Comet Lake-U one on this latest X1 Carbon refresh. Performance differences, however, are minimal meaning you won't miss much if you already own a 2018 or 2019 model.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-G7-2020-Laptop-Review-Same-Look-New-Processor.459048.0.html

william blake

200pwm. almost always. how tf is this possible in a "premium" device?
200 is not 20000, 200 mean there is a good chance the device is a torture for the owner. f*** me.

jeremy

Quote from: william blake on March 30, 2020, 07:12:12
200pwm. almost always. how tf is this possible in a "premium" device?
200 is not 20000, 200 mean there is a good chance the device is a torture for the owner. f*** me.

I think you and I have known the answer for a while now. I think we all do.

Lenovo doesn't care. Thinkpad will be formed into pale imitations of a Macbook Air. The X13 and T14s are already converging with the X1C. Something has to give. In this instance, Lenovo chose to pursue a mediocre 4k display. Decent brightness, covers sRGB, and basically nothing else good about it. 9560 WiFi soldered to the motherboard when AX201 has long since launched - even in other Thinkpads (e.g, the cheaper T490). Keyboard is once again shallower (when even Apple finally admitted fault and moved to increase key travel - I get X1C7 still has move travel than the macbook air... for now. The Lenovo trend towards thin is clear). What's left of the SD card reader is now fully excised ("just buy a dongle," said the Apple Thinkpad fan).

In the end, NBC will continue giving Thinkpads high scores and free passes. Lenovo will continue marching every single Thinkpad towards being a bad copy of the Apple Macbook Air. Users complain, fanboys white knight for all types of corporations, the rest of the world moves on.

Pm

2300$ and 200Hz PWM screen ?! Why Lenovo even orders such shitty screens from BOE in the first place? Don't they check/test panels before starting cooperation with manufacturer ? It's stupid.

Flicker-free desktop monitors became a standard. Why there is no certification program for laptops ?

No WiFi 6 card in 2020 ? And they don't even allow wifi card upgrade any more.

william blake

Quote from: jeremy on March 30, 2020, 09:13:42
I think you and I have known the answer for a while now. I think we all do.
i do not. for me its a mystery for years. I have a small hobby-buying laptops to friends/colleagues/random people. sometimes its 5 laptops a year, sometimes just one. i do not count buying a dozen or two for the office-it was a job, not hobby.
so, laptop market is a mystery for me for 20 years. not phones, cars, microwaves or monitors, exactly laptops.
very short list of my wtf moments, impossible to happens on a markets above but common in laptops. (in no order)
-pwm
-200 nit
-zero attention to noise reduction.
-16:9 everywhere and only(slightly better now)
-no more than 17". even 5kg brick with plenty of room for a bigger screen-no questions from linus/notebookcheck/hardware unboxed, you name those noobs.
-10 y.o. hardware inside. (r.n. im typing from a 2018 laptop with 6bit screen and 40mb/s wifi)
-never good support. never from no one. only community answers and helps, after discovery and investigations lol.
i like lenovo more than any other oem tho :)

passenger

this x1c is pure trash...

It's just a macbook air 2020, but worse. Adding some ports can't make up the difference: significantly larger and better trackpad, better screen - and it's color accurate right from when you start using it -, no pwm, no `latencymon` spikes, 16:10 instead of 16:9. What's the point of buying a trashy thinkpad? Showing off the machine to your friend, stating that they are good to maintain, and all that you could replace with ease is the bottom cover?

Lenovo, if you're trying to imitate the macbook series, please, please, please TRY TO *THINK* about why they make such design decisions. Mere soldering everything onto the motherboard and cranking up the brightness doesn't make a laptop macbook.

NBC is really a good site, but seeing that a solid 89% is given to such a garbage makes me doubt the credibility of NBC. I expect better, way better, machine for such a point.

fluxtras

Never rate a laptop high when the screen is this bad... It's the thing you look at.. It's the thing you work with.

I type blind, don't care what the keys look like, but how the feel. I don't care (too much) what the screen feels like, I care how it looks... You see.. I have eyes, and need them for later...

Brick this device to a <40% rating and make sure nobody buys this junk.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview