News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Are discount Windows 10 licenses legal, and do they work?

Started by Redaktion, March 23, 2020, 13:31:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Windows 10 is one of the most expensive pieces of software that most users will buy. If you're looking at significantly discounted license keys, here's what you should know about where they come from, how they work, and if they're the right option for you.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Are-discount-Windows-10-licenses-legal-and-do-they-work.458765.0.html

JackW

I've been using these for years.  Once had an issue during a re-install to a new machine.  Contacted the vendor who provided a new key within hours of my email.  Much better customer service than MS!  I would say it's been worth the 'risk' for me so far.

A

As long as you buy from a reputable vendor, it isn't a problem. Though it may make more sense to buy cheaper older windows and upgrade to 10 for free.

But then again, in the case of windows 10, is it even worth buying in the first place? You can run windows 10 for free even without activating indefinitely as long as you don't mind the watermark. And I'm sure there are ways to get rid of it if you look around.

Though personally, I suggest going with linux.

heffeque

It's the perfect solution for computers that won't have any upgrades or won't have a complete OS refresh in years.
Pay $15 on a reputable store and it lasts as long as the computer does! It could last you a decade or more!

In my case I've done it to family member's old computers (near or even past 10 year old PCs and laptops) when changing from HDD on Win7 to an SDD on Win10.
Those computers are surely not going to take advantage of a $99 license (heck, some might break after a few years, who knows), so I have a feeling that it's $15 well spent!

_MT_

Quote from: heffeque on March 23, 2020, 22:41:31
It's the perfect solution for computers that won't have any upgrades or won't have a complete OS refresh in years.
Pay $15 on a reputable store and it lasts as long as the computer does! It could last you a decade or more!

In my case I've done it to family member's old computers (near or even past 10 year old PCs and laptops) when changing from HDD on Win7 to an SDD on Win10.
Those computers are surely not going to take advantage of a $99 license (heck, some might break after a few years, who knows), so I have a feeling that it's $15 well spent!
In that case, why bother buying a key at all? Microsoft allows you to run Windows without activation.

Frankly, Windows are pretty cheap as far as software goes. Of course, many people don't buy much, perhaps beyond games. And games are on the cheap side as well. Just look around. You can easily spend on software several times what you spent on hardware.

MrAlu

This is actually a thing thats entirely depending on national law.
In Germany (and i believe thats true for the whole EU, but not sore on that point) it is totally legal to buy this "shady" licenses.
There are several lawsuits stating out that selling both, used software licences as well as single keys from volume licenses is totally legal and no "almighty terms of service" could ever change that fact.

It sure is a different story in countries with bad customer protection tho, like the US.

Connor

This article really is a pile if garbage.
I dont know who wrote it, but whoever did should think about taking it down. There is so much misinformation in this that I couldnt even count it. Microsoft wont invalidate your windows if it's an OEM key - HOW COULD THEY? KNOWING YOUR IP DOESNT TELL THEM IF YOURE AN OEM OR NOT.
Also not having an activated version of windows DOES NOT slow down security updates. They are rolled out to all windows devices at the exact same time.
And no, it's not illegal to purchase a stolen key as buyer protection states that it is not your fault if you are unaware, but rather the person who's selling it who is at fault. And this is a fact around the entire world.
Whoever wrote this article clearly done no research and attempted to make assumptions and judgments about different aspects of windows 10 and the keys used for it.
It's best, for the sake of your business and its reputation, that you delete this article as to not spread A LOT of misinformation about this topic. And if your writers cant write a simple article about windows 10 accurately, then I sure as hell wouldn't want to see an article written about something more complex.
Absolute embarrassment.

Nahaku

Microsoft should pay us for using their system. After all they know all about us, our habits... Also often we get some ads too.

Jon Lundshøj

I think a lot of people will assume, you got benefits from Microsoft for writing this article.

This grinds your credibility down to zero.

StevenH

Entirely anecdotal, but I've literally never had an issue with over a dozen of these. Judging by other comments too, I think the writer has no clue. Maybe stick to something you actually know?

MOHAMED

I used this website before and all keys working fine and very cheap and perfect customer support : xohmkeys.com

nixa

Yes, recently I've bought a www.buywindows10pro.com/ windows 10 pro activation cd key

Ryle

I think it is legal, you can buy without problems.
Also I was bought from this store: www.softwareshopk.com

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview