News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Alienware m15 R4 gaming laptop in review: Lots of power, short battery life

Started by Redaktion, April 06, 2021, 20:04:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Dell equips the Alienware m15 with Nvidia's new RTX 3000 GPUs in the R4 version. In our test configuration, the GeForce RTX 3070 shows what it can do at maximum TGP. The performance that can otherwise be found in this laptop will be revealed in our review.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-m15-R4-gaming-laptop-in-review-Lots-of-power-short-battery-life.531030.0.html

dude what

I can see this thing being great to warm up an open space in winter and melt through your desk in July

Bobby

Dell did a very good job
46 degrees on the laptop when doing absolutely nothing (should be about 26 degrees)
About 57 degrees whilst gaming on the keyboard
And under 3 hours of battery life
You really get what you pay for at £2549.
Legion 5 pro is £1500 when it was in stock and has similar gaming performance, cooler external temperatures, about 7-8 hours battery as well as bigger trackpad, upgradeable RAM, superior CPU performance and brighter and higher resolution screen.

The alienware is 200g lighter and barely thinner but you have to wonder if all these compromises are acceptable in such an expensive device. No point in being barely lighter when it can only last 3 hours. Dell shouldn't be selling a premium product without Optimus in my opinion and extremely hot external temperatures making it unsuitable to game on.

kouakuma

HDMI 2.0b? Is this a typo? Because I thought all RTX 30 series laptops should have HDMI 2.1

ariliquin

No comparison with AMD gaming laptops, why? It would help with questions of heat, noise, battery life and performance.

Papusan

I wonder why the editor of the review never mentioned that the AGA (Alienware Graphic Amplifier) is EOL. Not everyday you see features that can't be used or that you can't buy hardware from the OEM to make it to work.

_MT_

I guess the short battery life (high idle draw/ temperature) implies that Optimus is not enabled on this thing. I vaguely recall that Optimus previously depended on hardware configuration. Some have it and some don't. I think it might be the 300 Hz display. Unfortunately, there is not a mention of Optimus in the entire review.

ChinaLiedUyghursDied

Legion 5 Pro (5800H, 32GB, 1TB, RTX 3070, 140W, 80Wh, 16:10, 144Hz) sells for only €1620/£1400 - if you use the 10% newsletter signup - and runs cool and quiet in idle with a slightly better keyboard.

Not sure why anyone should buy a Dell these days without AMD 5000 option.

Did you know that the Chinese Communist Party are eradicating an ethnic culture of 10million people?

dude what

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview