News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Ryzen 7 4800U-powered laptops may potentially offer stellar battery life compared to similar Intel offerings

Started by Redaktion, March 06, 2020, 14:50:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A PCMark 10 battery life test result of an AMD Ryzen 7 4800U-powered laptop has leaked online. Although specific details about the laptop itself are not available, the test seems to indicate a runtime of 13 hours 52 minutes on a 70 Wh battery. This is a very good runtime and probably higher than most Intel-powered counterparts. The result is also not too far away from what a typical Snapdragon 8cx-powered WoA laptop would score.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-7-4800U-powered-laptops-may-potentially-offer-stellar-battery-life-compared-to-similar-Intel-offerings.455332.0.html

ARMer

Not sure what exactly PC Mark 10 does to check the battery life during video playback. But on my Dell XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 (not 4k) non-stop video playback from Youtube lasts slightly above 14 hours with 52Wh battery and ~200 nitts. While I understand that AMD fanboys and Intel haters (or perhaps both at the same time) love these kind of articles, as far as I am concerned the presented performance is nothing impressive for CPU intended for ultra portable.

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: ARMer on March 06, 2020, 15:11:44
Not sure what exactly PC Mark 10 does to check the battery life during video playback. But on my Dell XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 (not 4k) non-stop video playback from Youtube lasts slightly above 14 hours with 52Wh battery and ~200 nitts. While I understand that AMD fanboys and Intel haters (or perhaps both at the same time) love these kind of articles, as far as I am concerned the presented performance is nothing impressive for CPU intended for ultra portable.

While you're right about video tests lasting a pretty long time, this particular test is for productivity using MS Office apps (at least as per the source). Moreover, this is just a leak and as I had mentioned, there's no info on the specifics.

william blake

Quote from: ARMer on March 06, 2020, 15:11:44
run the test we are talking about, on your machine, and then talk about fanboys. please and thank you.

Greffen

Hexus review site has quite a number of PCMark 10 battery life results including the modern office test. Can use those to compare.

A

@ARMer - a video test doesn't use the CPU much unless you don't have hardware acceleration for that encoding. Disable hardware decoding and see if you can get even half that battery life while watching a video.

As others mentioned, you have to test via same workload.

Spunjji

Quote from: A on March 06, 2020, 20:25:01
@ARMer - a video test doesn't use the CPU much unless you don't have hardware acceleration for that encoding. Disable hardware decoding and see if you can get even half that battery life while watching a video.

As others mentioned, you have to test via same workload.

They also missed the point that an AMD laptop having "unremarkable" battery life in the Ultrabook arena would be a new and interesting development in and of itself.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview