News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

i9-10980HK leaks on Userbenchmark: Just 10 percent faster than Ryzen 7 4800H for 3 times the cost

Started by Redaktion, March 05, 2020, 15:07:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A leaked Userbenchmark listing paints a bleak picture of Intel's upcoming Comet Lake i9-10980H. The "world's fastest" mobile CPU delivers a mere 10 percent performance uplift over the Ryzen 7 4800H, while laptops featuring it will likely cost 2-3 times more.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/i9-10980HK-leaks-on-Userbenchmark-Just-10-percent-faster-than-Ryzen-7-4800H-for-3-times-the-cost.455423.0.html

Alex8768

Uhhh... No. The ASUS is $1100 for 4600H (NOT 4800H). The 4800H is closer to $1600, and you're comparing Dell's premium flagship to ASUS budget gaming lineup.
I'm excited for Renoir but please cut it out with these click-baity posts.

Ariliquin

How will it's thermal performance Compaire? With poor thermal performance this CPU could end up being significantly slower than AMD in real world usage.

Timtom

"Likely cost 2 or 3 time more".

So you don't actually know, you are just making up a article for something that has not been proven. Pure click bait

Zizo007

The article is exaggerating Intel's cost but AMD still wins. That Intel CPU has a 5.3Ghz boost and the 45WTDP is only for base clocks so it will be drawing 80+W in reality. Many 9980H users never reached their advertized 5Ghz boost, they are capped at 4Ghz due to thermal throttling. Intel lies about their TDP and boost clocks. In a desktop no problem there is watercooling for 5Ghz 9900KS 300+W but how can you cool 5.3Ghz in a laptop with air? Yes they can make better silicon but not to that point and still on 14nm.

Zizo007

Also the 10980HK competitor is the AMD 4900HS with 4.4Ghz boost. Intel lost its last segment, the mobile segment. They need at least 2 years to catch AMD. Intel themeselves said that they will be inferior with 14nm until 2022. Its recent news.

_MT_

Quote from: Zizo007 on March 06, 2020, 21:51:37
The article is exaggerating Intel's cost but AMD still wins. That Intel CPU has a 5.3Ghz boost and the 45WTDP is only for base clocks so it will be drawing 80+W in reality. Many 9980H users never reached their advertized 5Ghz boost, they are capped at 4Ghz due to thermal throttling. Intel lies about their TDP and boost clocks. In a desktop no problem there is watercooling for 5Ghz 9900KS 300+W but how can you cool 5.3Ghz in a laptop with air? Yes they can make better silicon but not to that point and still on 14nm.
Also, there is a difference between what Intel is asking and what the OEM is asking. Sometimes, OEMs are just gauging their customers.

It's entirely possible to air cool a 5 GHz CPU. Don't forget, those record high boosts are single core, not all core. It just gets bloody difficult in a 15 mm thin chassis. Simple physics. Something about air volume, velocity, noise, surface area and such. :-) Powering it, on the other hand, that's a very different question. It's just inefficient to run at 5+ GHz. This isn't a very good strategy for a laptop unless it's a honking desktop replacement where battery is more like a built-in UPS.

I don't see it as lying. Boost is something extra. It allows you to take advantage of reserves in your system. If you don't have any, your problem. However, marketing shouldn't focus solely on full boost performance with overclocked memory. It's nice to know the potential, but base shouldn't be forgotten.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview