News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Useful Life Hack: How to Disable Modern Standby (Connected Standby)

Started by Redaktion, February 06, 2020, 23:37:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Modern standby modes, often referred to as "connected standby" or "InstantGo", are supposed to beam laptops into a connected future. One, that we are familiar with from the world of smartphones However, there are quite a few reasons why you may want to consider disabling this feature, which, in turn, is made unnecessarily complicated by Microsoft.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Useful-Life-Hack-How-to-Disable-Modern-Standby-Connected-Standby.453125.0.html

_MT_

There is also a security factor. If you're relying on drive encryption, you generally want to avoid standby states. When leaving computer, you should at least hibernate it. Because encryption keys are typically stored in RAM which isn't encrypted. S3 should be better because the rest of the computer should be powered off. It's still vulnerable to cold boot attack, but that's significantly more work and perhaps the only real advantage of soldered RAM is that it can't be removed and plugged into another device. Now, if you have "modern" standby, the computer is running and any port with RDMA functionality is a potential security hole. The main concern used to be FireWire, now it's Thunderbolt.

Dimitri Van Looy

This hack worked as a charm for the power drain issue (changing the sleep mode). However is caused a new one to appear. After returning from sleep, the screen starts blinking now & then, as if the display adapter's driver is not working properly anymore.
A reboot fixes the issue but cannot be the sustainable solution here. Any idea's?

Ander

Unfortunately, with the new Windows 10 ver. 2004 update, this hack no longer works. I'm still trying to find a way to disable "Modern Standby" and return to traditional Sleep mode. Sigh—Microsoft control freaks!!

Thin

HI
I have a dell G5 and same problem. any update ?
I don't want to go with boot way.
Hope Dell and Microsoft solve the problem promptly.
Regards

asdfasdf

Windows 10 ver. 2004 update.............   There is NO existing CsEnabled key.  Creating a new DWORD key for CsEnabled and setting it to 0 does NOTHING.  This article is outdated.

Mr Anderson

bear

I have exactly the same problem, of course with DELL - all other notebooks I use (HP, Lenovo, Asus) do NOT have such problem. I've spent a few days now and lost a lot of time and nerves - it just sucks, after the latest Win10 update, the bloody DELL precision cannot sleep, as of the idiotic "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected" and "Standby (S3) This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported." The only solution: I'll never buy another DELL again. "S0" should be called "DELL Insomnia" really, as it keeps the notebook running, going overheated and draining the battery empty - it's pretty dangerous if this happens in a closed backback, it could burn as it's overheated as hell in the sommer.

Koala

Quote from: bear on September 30, 2020, 10:34:15
I have exactly the same problem, of course with DELL - all other notebooks I use (HP, Lenovo, Asus) do NOT have such problem. I've spent a few days now and lost a lot of time and nerves - it just sucks, after the latest Win10 update, the bloody DELL precision cannot sleep, as of the idiotic "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected" and "Standby (S3) This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported." The only solution: I'll never buy another DELL again. "S0" should be called "DELL Insomnia" really, as it keeps the notebook running, going overheated and draining the battery empty - it's pretty dangerous if this happens in a closed backback, it could burn as it's overheated as hell in the sommer.

Good lord, I never thought someone else would have the same experience as me! My laptop rarely ever goes to sleep properly. It's supposed to go to sleep, and then hibernate after a certain amount of time  has elapsed. And so everytime I leave my laptop I have to remember to hibernate it. I'm only human though so I might forget to hibernate it or I might think that I won't be gone for long.

And you know what happens to this Dell Inspiron laptop when it doesn't sleep? A BSOD! Power state failure. And to think that Windows 10 version 2004 started this. This has been happening to me at least once a month this year (when I got this laptop). Only today when it happened again did I actually go into event viewer. I found some error to do with modern standby. I Googled a few queries and landed here. I don't know who to blame, Dell or Microsoft. I'm just frustrated.

anonymusss

I got a new X13 AMD and lo and behold - Turn on HyperV platform for Docker and WSL2, and suddenly, "Hybrid Sleep S3" is disabled because "Hypervisor does not support this"

Solution: In BIOS, there is a setting "Sleep State", with the two options "Linux" and "Windows". My hunch was that this was the toggle between classic S3 Standby and Modern Standby. It was.

Switch to Linux and suddenly, i got good old reliable S3 in Windows back, while HyperV is running.

Koala

It looks like Microsoft has a fix on the way. Windows 10 20H2, which, despite the name October 2020, will likely reach us in November.

google search for:
windows-insider/2020/09/30/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-19042-546-20h2/

N

How do I re-enable Modern Standby after disabling it? I tried changing the last digit of the registry file to 1 but it didn't work. Command Prompt still reports S3 as enabled and that S0 aka Modern Standby is not supported by the system. Please help.

zachmu

The original registry hack no longer works, but this registry hack did. Run the following in cmd.exe running as administrator, or use regedit to do the same thing.

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

Alexbor

Very appreciate for last update. My Asus Rog GX 502 LWS get this problem at the beginning and I don't use sleep mode at all, after few overheating and BSODs. And now after check in power shell by "powercfg /a" there is no any more sleeping mode S0, know appear S3. I use last update of windows 10 20H2 19042.928
So this key is really working HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0
Thanks a lot

xpclient

On AMD Ryzen 5000 systems, even this tweak, PlatformAoAcOverride, doesn't work for 20H2/21H1. They truly removed, broke and crippled S3 standby (some UEFI BIOSs do not even implement S3 any more) and S0 state is HORRIBLE.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview