News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Another one caught red-handed: Wacom has been tracking your activity as well

Started by Redaktion, February 06, 2020, 11:57:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Although Wacom hardware should have no reason for sending out the history of application use of its owners, it looks like this has been happening for a while and there's no official explanation for that yet. Nevertheless, this story is quite intriguing and worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Another-one-caught-red-handed-Wacom-has-been-tracking-your-activity-as-well.453105.0.html

Matti

There's also an "Epilogue" section in that linked article which says that the Wacom driver/software is no longer doing it, so I wonder if it was some code screw-up that got fixed, or Wacom feeling the heat from this story.

One thing to note is the date it got fixed, which predates most publications (yourselves included) and blogs picking up and echo-chambering this, so either someone close to Wacom (there's a "Rick" mentioned there) alerted them after finding the issue himself, or he found the story before the rest of you did.

Codrut Nistor

If you go through it to the end you'll see that the driver was not doing it for a period, then it started again. Just go all the way to the end... Quote - "On February 3rd I checked in and was elated at what I saw: [image with code that mentions Rick]
I had no idea who Rick was, but I was glad he was back. Wacom were illegitimately siphoning off my personal data again, and I couldn't be happier. I grabbed some better screenshots, fixed some grammar, and hit publish. The rest is history."

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview