News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo statement: Thunderbolt firmware responsible for ThinkPad USB C failures

Started by Redaktion, January 25, 2020, 20:07:22

Previous topic - Next topic

CHRISTOPHER MCGREGER

Quote from: Scott on January 26, 2020, 19:04:07
After all the negative responses I have been extremely apprehensive about purchasing the x1 carbon,  but after the donation made regarding the viral outbreak in China, I say to hell with all my apprehension. I'd rather stand with an imperfect company that means well than an imperfect one that performs slightly better in some obscure statistics. I'm buying my next laptop from Lenovo, within two months, and screw anyone that says I could do better elsewhere. Integrity matters, and don't fool yourselves into pretending that it doesn't.

I'm gonna stand with Scott on this one. Apparently not every man is taught as a child these 3 basic certainties of life:

1.) Everyone (even engineers and QC) makes mistakes and many of the mistakes will affect you directly.

2.) If something can go wrong, it will go wrong.. that's its job.

3.) Chicks dig scars.

OKSVQ

Quote from: Byron Portilla on January 27, 2020, 11:30:17
We have seen this at work and I have been able to fix over 50 of these Lenovo's so far without needing a motherboard swap. I used a eeprom flasher with a soic 8 test clip (Aka piggy back clip) and just reflashed the eeprom with the newest flash. Takes less than 5 minutes to do. The eeprom isn't damaged it's just corrupted so the system doesn't know it's there and the software flash can't write to the chip.

Just thought in would share so people with out of warranty systems could have a fix other than an over priced mother board swap.

Hi Byron Portilla,
Would you be able to extract the working .bin file and upload it somewhere (google drive etc.) since I am trying to flash the  Winbond  25Q80DV NIG Chip with a programmer but the Lenovo bin file is only 260Kb whereas the original bin inside the chip is 1M. I wasnt able make it work and rolled back the original bin inside. If I could get from someone a bin from a USBC and HDMI working X1 Carbon I think  I may be able to load it and make it work. I am not sure how to send a private message to you in this forum, but I would appreciate you or some other fellow X1 Carbon 6th Thunderbolt controller failure victim can provide a working bin file.

Many thanks in advance.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview