News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Recent Lenovo ThinkPad laptops have a problem with defective Thunderbolt Controllers

Started by Redaktion, January 22, 2020, 13:32:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Litho

Very disappointing news. Already updated thunderbolt firmware to the recommended version via fwupdmgr (I'm on Linux), but it it's true about the firmware not resolving the issue permanently, I guess it's a good thing I purchased my X390 from Lenovo during a "back to school" sale period middle last year and got the 3yr on-site warranty, 3yr accidental damage protection and 3yr battery warranty included for free.

danbo

The flaky Thunderbolt port, mine stopped working less than a week after purchasing my X1 Extreme (back in January 2019) was the reason I finally dumped Windows for MacOs.  Lenovo's software for the controller combined with BIOS issues pushed me over the edge.

Qubi

Quote from: danbo on January 24, 2020, 03:49:41
The flaky Thunderbolt port, mine stopped working less than a week after purchasing my X1 Extreme (back in January 2019) was the reason I finally dumped Windows for MacOs.  Lenovo's software for the controller combined with BIOS issues pushed me over the edge.
But the keyboard replacement programm from Apple is also limited in time, just like Lenovo's warranty, right?
Or was that a troll post, as you talk about Windows and MacOs, instead of Lenovo and Apple, as this is not an issue in the operating system?

Eric

I have a ThinkPad Carbon, 6th Gen, which is about 6 months old. UBSC problems have been severe for more than a month now. One of the USBC outlets is completely dead--the Thunderbolt 3 is the one that is dead.Just downloaded the software--both parts of it--and ran the update. The UBSC is still dead. So this does not fix the problem for me. Already have a call in to Lenovo to do a motherboard replacement. This is a very big deal for me.[
[

Josh

Does anyone know if this happens on Linux as well? According to Lenovo documentation this happens on Win 10 64 bit only.

Lucas

year 2023 I have a ThinkPad Carbon, 9th Gen
still facing the same problem with latest BIOS and latest win10 64bit 22H2 and latest drivers from Lenovo Vantage

the USB-C is only charging at 15W
somehow power adapter fails to communicate with the laptop controller to use USB-PD mode for fast charging

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview