News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

It's time for Microsoft to drop the Surface Connect port

Started by Redaktion, December 20, 2019, 08:20:54

Previous topic - Next topic

SenorSopa

Bad idea. The Surface connect port is so much better than USB C. It's nearly impossible to find a USB C dock with power and 5 USB C ports and 3 USB A ports. That's what I have available with the new Dock 2. I have two monitors connected, a mouse, and my cell phone are connected too. I connect with one cord. I still have both type C ports on the front of the dock open and both the type A and type C available on the device itself.

I gave my original dock to my daughter with my Surface Pro 5. She loves that her monitor, keyboard, mouse, and DVD drive are all so easily connected with one magnetic cord.

No reason to get rid of it. I love the better idea of making the port available to all Windows devices!

Adrian

Here's a better opinion.

It's time for Microsoft to open the Surface Connect port as a standard, and for everyone to adopt it.

xrx

Although there are benefits to the surface connect port, the dock is not really one of them imo since it weighs almost twice as much as the laptop's power brick. There is little point in having a 1kg laptop and 1 kg dock.

Gurunix

The port and the connectors are poorly designed. The Connector's width is too long compared to its depth- will break easily unless it is made of very heavy duty material. The port has a pair of three pins separated by some gap which is almost as long as or more than the total length of the two sets of pins alone. I have no idea why such a large gap exists which serves no purpose.

If Microsoft, as a very successful software company, wants to diversify into hardware design, its needs to develop that capability well. Hardware design includes mechanical design as well.

Mircea F Nemteanu

Attaching the magnetic Connect + connector, I love.
Pushing in an USB-C connector I hate, especially when need to plug/unplug daily or more.
I find the Microsoft proprietary solution more mechanically reliable than the USB-C not to mention the added trip-proof benefit, it won't pull the tablet off the desk when accidental cable jerks happen.

Deacon

Surface Connect has saved my computer from falling dozens of times thanks to the magnetic port.
Every brand should adapt it!

It has literally saved me thousands of dollars.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview