News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Nintendo Switch Pro could be using the new Nvidia Tegra X1+ chip for up to 25 percent faster performance with potential for AI upscaling

Started by Redaktion, October 18, 2019, 05:32:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Nvidia Shield TV is about to get a processor upgrade - will the Nintendo Switch be next? The new Tegra X1+ will likely be using the same underlying architecture as the original Tegra X1 for an easier transition to Nintendo's handheld should the company decide to adopt the more powerful processor.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-could-be-using-the-new-Nvidia-Tegra-X1-chip-for-up-to-25-percent-faster-performance-with-potential-for-AI-upscaling.439792.0.html

Oats

The Tegra X1+ is just going to be the 16nm Mariko chip that was put into the new Switch revision. The 25% performance bump is likely due to a clock speed increase because of the more efficient process.

Another bait article.

S.Yu

Quote from: Oats on October 18, 2019, 07:10:38
The Tegra X1+ is just going to be the 16nm Mariko chip that was put into the new Switch revision. The 25% performance bump is likely due to a clock speed increase because of the more efficient process.

Another bait article.
Rather "bait" upgrade? This is just a glimpse back to when product cycles were many times as long as today so they could milk the same hardware for higher and higher margins throughout the cycle.

CoD511

Another bait article.

Considering the mention of AI upscaling, I have my doubts. Sounds like some Tensor cores are involved.

Oats

Quote from: CoD511 on October 18, 2019, 21:48:46

Another bait article.

Considering the mention of AI upscaling, I have my doubts. Sounds like some Tensor cores are involved.

Nvidia introduced the tensor cores in Volta, 2 generations after Maxwell which is what the current Tegra X1 is on. It would be very odd if they added tensor cores to a nearly 5 year old architecture. I doubt they upgraded to Tesla or Turing either considering it's called an X1+ rather than a X3 for example.

Rico Mico

This SoC is the same the Nintendo Switch got in the summer:
- 25% more performance (but Nintendo chose to lower the speed and increase battery)
- lower TDP (that´s why I bet the "Nvidia Shield TV Stick" won´t have FAN or it will be a very basic one)
- updated VPU (not upgraded, just updated). The older Shield TV models could have Dolby Vision HDR, but Nvidia won´t update them due to Dolby fees...

Allen.Ngo

The TDP flexibility of Tegra X1+ or Mariko shows how much performance overhead is available to Nintendo should they decide to utilize it especially if Nvidia is able to incorporate upscaling features to aid in dock mode. Since the Switch Lite uses an underclocked Mariko, a Switch Pro with an updated and higher-clocked Mariko like the one in the upcoming Shield TV refresh seems reasonable if they are aiming for an early 2020 launch.

Lucas Servi

Nintendo Switch Lite and Nintendo Switch Rev2 already have this Tegra X1+ chip. The power efficiency is reflected in the doubled battery durability.

Lucas

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview