News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell contains to bait and switch XPS 15 9570 owners over Modern Standby sleep issues

Started by Redaktion, September 02, 2019, 12:43:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Dell has quietly posted an update on its support website for the XPS 15 9570 titled "Modern Standby Performance Improvement Package Application". The 66.94 MB update promises to fix Connected Modern Standby being enabled by default, a change that Dell previously claimed required re-installing Windows 10. The company labels the update as urgent, with it apparently updating machines to BIOS 1.12.0 too. The update is available to download now.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-contains-to-bait-and-switch-XPS-15-9570-owners-over-Modern-Standby-sleep-issues.433715.0.html

person

Is English your second language? Just asking, because it seems so and it might help to have someone edit/proofread your stuff before you publish. Not a big deal, but it may help people understand what you are trying to say better.

Alex Alderson

Quote from: person on September 02, 2019, 19:07:47
Is English your second language? Just asking, because it seems so and it might help to have someone edit/proofread your stuff before you publish. Not a big deal, but it may help people understand what you are trying to say better.

No. But thanks for your concern.

Sem

> Oddly, the update claims to re-enable Disconnected Modern Standby when Connected Modern Standby is active, something that Dell previously stated required an OS re-install to do.

The update probably only switches from Connected Standby to Disconnected Standby, both states of S0 Modern Sleep. The difference is only that internet is disabled. But this doesn't necessarily stop modern apps, drivers and the OS kernel from doing something they deem appropriate during sleep. And the way Microsoft designed MS, users can't prevent them. 

The thing that presumably requires an OS reinstall (by Microsoft) is switchover to S3 sleep, which isn't mentioned in the description of this update.

Btw, a computer may also wake up during S3 sleep for "important things" like Windows updates. But there, wake timers can be turned off using powercfg command options.

Scott C

"Switch and bait" doesn't mean what you think it means. Also, the saying is "bait and switch". As noted above, you really need to get your articles proof read to avoid those sorts of incorect colloquilisms and poor phrasing; written English isn't the same as the English you speak to your pal down the street.

Alex Alderson

Quote from: Scott C on September 27, 2019, 08:27:42
"Switch and bait" doesn't mean what you think it means. Also, the saying is "bait and switch". As noted above, you really need to get your articles proof read to avoid those sorts of incorect colloquilisms and poor phrasing; written English isn't the same as the English you speak to your pal down the street.

I am afraid that you misread the article. I know the phrase is bait and switch, hence why I used it as such. At no point did I write "switch and bait".

Take your condescending and patronising tone elsewhere.

event_horizon

I'm interested to find out if you see any improvements from installing this. I successfully ran the executable that Dell posted and was hopeful that I would see some improvements. Unfortunately I still see 2-3% per hour of drain which is too much. I have a Precision 5530 which as far as I can tell is pretty much identical to the 9570. It really is a bummer that you can't put the machine to sleep, come back to it 6 or 7 hours later and see that the remaining battery is the same or nearly the same.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview