News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Hot Ice: Dell XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 Core i3 Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, September 10, 2019, 10:37:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Dell's latest XPS convertible is unlike most Ultrabooks or convertibles we've tested this year simply because it checks off long a laundry list of uncommon features: Ice Lake-U, MagLev keyboard, vapor chamber, GORE cooling, 13.4-inch touchscreen, and a 16:10 aspect ratio. The result is a travel-friendly convertible with one of the brightest and most well-calibrated displays we've seen for its category. Unfortunately, you'll have to give up some upgrades along the way that may impact longevity.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Hot-Ice-Dell-XPS-13-7390-2-in-1-Core-i3-Laptop-Review.434484.0.html

Ge Zhang

The biggest problem of soldered SSD is that when any part of the device dies, you cannot recover data. Not being able to upgradable is a much less of a problem for many people.

fdsofldmos

Ice lake architecture seems nice but Intel needs a better process than the 10nm+ currently used. I mean, a 2 core 4 thread CPU reaching 100 degrees celsius with two fans and a vapour chamber. Daaamn!
Also notebookcheck, please spend a few hundred bucks from your pile of money to buy an AX router. It can't be that hard...

Movietime

A question for the ports review: is Dell's Ice Lake thunderbolt 3 port controller compatible with DisplayPort 1.2 or 1.4? Pretty critical for HDR video/movies/netflix on an external HDR monitor or HDR TV as only Displayport 1.4 supports true HDR metadata output

A

@fdsofldmos - It is too early to rule on ice lake. Do remember this is a Dell. They always double as a toaster oven to bake cookies on.

Which is a shame considering they have pretty solid options.

Let us wait and see how other manufacturers fair.

Sinocelt

Quote from: Ge Zhang on September 10, 2019, 13:58:51
The biggest problem of soldered SSD is that when any part of the device dies, you cannot recover data. Not being able to upgradable is a much less of a problem for many people.

EXACTLY. That's how I could recover the data from my previous Dell notebook: by removing the hard drive.

not_anton

Bright 16:10 screen, soldered everything, shallow keyboard, even the cute elongated cutouts on the bottom...
Welcome to the Mac family, Dell!

xpclient

nicholasdunning

What would you choose between the Dell XPS 7390 and a similarly specd Lenovo X1 yoga gen 4? In regards to build quality, design and battery life.

Chris Ackermann

Great review! Many thanks to Allen and team.

Reading about the problems of the test unit, about the rather poor battery life and about all the issues related to Coil Whine, I think I won't risk buying one for now. The new Lenovo C940 with Ice Lake could be a a much better choice.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview