News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft aware of severe throttling issue affecting Surface Pro 6, Surface 2 leaving devices locked at just 400 MHz

Started by Redaktion, August 16, 2019, 12:43:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Microsoft's Surface Pro 6 and Surface Book 2 models are suffering from severe throttling problems. The company is said to be aware of the issue and is preparing a firmware update to address the problem.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-aware-of-severe-throttling-issue-affecting-Surface-Pro-6-Surface-2-leaving-devices-locked-at-just-400-MHz.430521.0.html

t4n0n

Owning a Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 5 taught me to avoid  future Microsoft products like the plague...

heffeque

Quote from: t4n0n on August 17, 2019, 18:21:40
Owning a Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 5 taught me to avoid  future Microsoft products like the plague...
How come? I've got a Surface Pro 6 i5 8350 and it's working perfectly. What's wrong with yours?

Pierrick

Have had this problem for a year.
It's also linked to ambiant temp, as the problem is worse in summer.

I posted my findings on Reddit.

I've been in contact with MS support for a year, and they mostly denied the issue until I really pushed. Then they admitted that they could reproduce ... and that's it.

Paydor

I bought a new Surface Book 3 15 inch today, top configuration, and I have the same problem, the device throttles to 0,39Ghz when the power is plugged in. This happens with the default charger as well as the Surface Dock 2.

How do I install the firmware updates mentioned in the article?
I'll try to install all Windows Updates available and report back.

2020 June 16th

Paydor

Quote from: Paydor on June 17, 2020, 12:35:47
I'll try to install all Windows Updates available and report back.

I've installed all latest Windows Updates. And while it took a while at 0,39GHz, this seems to have fixed the issue and there's no more throttling to 0,39 GHz happening. I'll test on.

TLDR for Surface Book 3: Run Windows Update.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview