Notebookcheck
, , , , , ,
search relation.
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
 

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: someone257
« on: April 08, 2018, 20:34:17 »

god dammit, i bought mine 2 weeks ago lol

however im not really mad. thinner? well i doubt it will have the same cooling performance then. cooling is superb at the aero 15 and personally i really dont care abot the thickness at all.. its a highend brick as it should be
no big deal to carry it as it is still realtive light.

as for the display i dont see much sense in all of that.
144hz well yes seems nice but be honest, those games that profit from fast refresh (fps and friends) arent that good to play on such a small display anyway. (id recommend to play normaly on a big screen with regular keyboard and mouse even tough the keys are not bad to play at)

its simply the screensize itself that makes it hard for fps and similar fast paced games to be useable.

the second concern is power / heat relation. more power for much more fps means much more heat. the current 1060/1080p 60hz is a perfect combination even long term even in relative warm rooms (25-28 degree C ife testet)

but theres also another issue with 144hz, its picture qualtiy. no gaming monitor has really nice colors. after years i ditched my 120hz in favour for an older dell (actually 2 of them) for better colors and still acceptable overall performance.

its always a tradeoff, one or another or both but not perfect. as for me, i dont see much reason to need 144hz on the road, if i really want it i coudl order another external screen for that matter. but average usage is much more fun on that awesome screen so i gladly sacrifice more hz for better pictures. (and no i dont do image work)

as for 4k - careful waht you whish for - just dont
no i mean it DONT

thing is all of non 4k owners know 4k displays in best case form display room. there it looks nice, in everyday work 4k on 15 inch is simply insane.

most applications dont scale well. only workaround is to turn of scaling - so either half of your apps are blurry or you need a teleskope to be able to read text in there. you cant have either.

1080p on 15inch is already a tad too much, but its duable and blurrs are acceptable at 25% scaling. worst case work without scaling - still doable.
on 4k? no way

now the benefits of 4k vs hd - well not that much either. yes it looks a bit better. but only a little. the farther you sit behind it the less difference youll be able to see.

shure if youre lucky and work only with apps that are optimized for high dpi displays well good for you. but if youre unlucky and have to use many different programms well ... dont go for 4k

you need much more GPU power for 4k, so gaming on that thing wont be that pretty.. scaling it back to 1080 is often the only option to get decent fps but then again youll be in blurry land.


theres a good reason gigabyte never offered 4k and i admire them for that. instead of jumping the marketing train and sell a product customers demand but will suffer in real world application they simply didnt offer it.

4k on 15 inch (and even 17 inch) laptops? should not be a thing for years. (gpu power problem first) but even ignoring the super high demand of gpus we need to wait at least 5  years until most apps scale perfectly until then it a nono

so careful what you whish for :))


what i would whish for at gigabytes almsot perfect product - less plastic, dedicaded media and wireless keys (vol up / down mute, mic mute, wlan on, BT on/off) and only lightes letters on the keyboard and maybe a real dockign station option :))

aynthing else isnt really doable in a useable way at current technology
Posted by: Micron
« on: March 21, 2018, 23:02:33 »

What do you think is better for video editing. This one ( New GigaByte) or Huawei Matebook X Pro? I really like the idea of having two ssd inside the laptop. 1st - bootable, 2nd - user files
Posted by: T
« on: March 21, 2018, 22:46:15 »

Swear to God it aint gonna feature 4K ever! Last year they made up the same bs and waited on it like forever. Plus, to those wishing to get one with glossy screen, damn hate to burst your bubble but it’ll never happen I know it like I run Gigabyte lol
Posted by: martinope
« on: March 21, 2018, 20:15:55 »

So the 4K display is not bezel-less?

This is a 15 inch laptop. It follows to reason both screen options would be the identical 15.6'' dimension. If both the 4k and FHD screens are indeed the same size, it would be impossible for one to have a thicker bezel than the other (unless Gigabyte were to change the entire body of the laptop depending on which option the consumer picks, which would be absurd beyond comprehension).

I'd say there's a 95% chance both will be bezel-less, and about 5% chance the 4k panel will be slightly smaller with slightly thicker bezels.


Does that mean both of these will have 100% AdobeRGB or just the 4K panel?

My educated guess is the "100% Adobe RGB" would be exclusive to the 4k panel. Especially taking other laptop manufacturers' recent offerings into account. The 144hz screen will probably be around 80% Adobe RGB/ 95%+ sRGB. Both display options will likely come pre-calibrated with Pantone color certification as did the predecessors.
Posted by: jjones
« on: March 21, 2018, 19:47:26 »

"FHD 144 Hz bezel-less panel and a 4K screen with AdobeRGB 100% color gamut..."

Does that mean both of these will have 100% AdobeRGB or just the 4K panel?
Posted by: zkw
« on: March 21, 2018, 16:54:59 »

If you change language to Chinese (Traditional) on their page, it actually says "six cores" in the features.
Posted by: SimonAB
« on: March 21, 2018, 15:12:09 »

So the 4K display is not bezel-less?
Posted by: qyl916
« on: March 21, 2018, 11:17:18 »

Just wonder how the battery life goes with these screen options on.
It seems Gigabyte lacks their own power management technique to save the battery.
Posted by: Bogdan Solca
« on: March 21, 2018, 08:49:22 »

gigabyte will use 8th gen intel cpu,information from weibo

Interesting news, can you please provide a link?
Posted by: yy
« on: March 21, 2018, 07:26:22 »

gigabyte will use 8th gen intel cpu,information from weibo
Posted by: martinope
« on: March 21, 2018, 05:42:20 »

 Crossing my fingers that the 4k display option is glossy...

Normally I would criticize the potential lack of upgraded Cpu/Gpu options, but honestly, an Aero 15x with a glossy 2160p 100% aRGB screen would pretty much be better than any other laptop in existence, at least for my use case scenario.

144hz 1080p is nice to see as an option too though. Was getting a bit concerned that these displays would remain Asus exclusive.
Posted by: heraldo_jones
« on: March 20, 2018, 22:20:55 »

What do you think is better for video editing. This on ( New GigaByte) or Huawei Matebook X Pro? I really like the idea of having two ssd inside the laptop. 1st - boot with Windows. 2nd - user files, docs, movies etc. And for sure the LCD screen have to be without PWM Flickering on all brightness levels

I was considering the Gigabyte and Aorus until I discovered I can have up to 4 drives (4 ssd or 3 ssd + 1 mechanical in 15/15" models or 2 ssd in 13" model) in the Alienware models, which probably could be updated soon.
Posted by: Micron
« on: March 20, 2018, 20:22:27 »

LCD screen have to be without PWM Flickering on all brightness levels
Posted by: Redaktion
« on: March 20, 2018, 15:46:51 »

This year's Aero 15/15X models will integrate thinner displays, bringing the overall thickness down to only 0.7 inches. Users will be able to choose between an FHD 144 Hz bezel-less panel and a 4K screen with AdobeRGB 100% color gamut. It has not been officially unveiled as of yet, but the new models could be powered by Intel's gen 8 Coffee Lake-H hexa-core CPUs.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigabyte-soon-to-launch-refreshed-Aero-15-15X-gaming-laptops-with-thinner-displays.289976.0.html

 
» Impressum     Sprachen: Deutsch | English | Español | Français | Italiano | Nederlands | Polski | Português | Русский | Türkçe | Svenska