News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

YouTube, stop with the 480p bandwidth discrimination in India already

Started by Redaktion, May 18, 2020, 09:20:19

Previous topic - Next topic

forfukssakealready

Its been 2 months of having 480p shoved down our collective throats by lazy cucked execs at google who decided a one size fits all for the entire indian demographic. It would have been fine if it defaulted to 480p and still had the option to change to 1080p, but these nannying fascists though so highly of themselves that they are deciding for us that nope, you dont need anything higher because fucking corona. Of course i just use a vpn and get my premium youtube app content in 1080p, but i shouldnt have to. I am paying for the bandwidth, and paying for the premium subscription to youtube. I am capable of deciding for myself how i want to view it. so yeah, the assholes who decided to keep this policy post 17th may can choke on a dick.

Ara Ara

I've installed newpipe app, now instead of clicking video in YouTube app I share the video to newpipe which plays the video at whatever resolution I want. No ads is another benefit while the downside is YouTube doesn't know I watched the video so recommendations aren't updated.

I hope Google removes this restriction soon so I wouldn't have to do this extra step.

darkrac

google.com/amp/s/www.newindianexpress.com/business/2020/mar/22/covid-19-netflix-amazon-and-other-ott-platforms-asked-to-lower-video-streaming-quality-2120136.amp

google.com/amp/s/www.thequint.com/amp/story/tech-and-auto%252Ftech-news%252Fnetflix-hotstar-coai-seek-indian-govt-support-lower-streaming-quality

Not sure if you guys had the time to actually see the news. The govt did request or at least the mobile network association did. Among the countries where data is very cheap, india is in the top. Since entire IT industry has moved to work from home and people need bandwidth (either broadband or mobile hotspot) to work. People mindlessly bogging on stupid content on YouTube wiill not help our economy.

Hence this restriction. And YouTube doesn't limit to 480p if you're on anything other than mobile or in a mobile network. I can still watch a 4k vid on wifi in my tv.

YouTube placed restrictions for Europe too after the govt requested them. With a population like ours where data is cheap and this stay at home mode can create quite a huge spike, it's necessary to place restrictions like this especially when it's coming mobile networks who own the infra. Maybe YouTube can reduce bitrate like Netflix but YouTube isn't singling out us.

That said we do face digital inequalities. I seriously wish we had xcloud here(much better than stadia). We don't have GeForce now and psnow either. Our Netflix library sucks balls. Tbh YouTube is the only place I'm not seeing this kinda discrimination but there has been a concern going on fishy dating app ads displayed to indian users recently. But other than that YouTube isn't singling us out on resolution restrictions. Calm down bro.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview