News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung Galaxy S24: Performance and efficiency comparisons result in clear defeat for the Exynos 2400

Started by Redaktion, January 25, 2024, 22:50:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Galaxy S24 and the Galaxy S24+ are offered in Europe with the Exynos 2400, while only the top model uses the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3. As benchmark comparisons now show, Samsung's flagship chip is clearly inferior, except in one discipline where the strengths of the RDNA 3 graphics chip come to the fore.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Galaxy-S24-Performance-and-efficiency-comparisons-result-in-clear-defeat-for-the-Exynos-2400.797220.0.html

Sam Sung

Exynos is better only in raytracing. Emulation is not even nearly as good as on SD8g3. Energy consumption is meh on both, just wait for real user reviews.

Whatever, EU will buy them anyway, despite the obvious discrimination. Samsung is the best, "competition" is all about crappy software and slow or non-existent updates, warranty, support.

ThanksforReview

After seeing those charts, I'm tempted to downclocks this X4 core.

How do I do it? (Without voiding the warranty)

Qual Comm

@Sam Sung : And where would you have them go? You do realize the average SD8G3 device throttles down to like 40%, right? This is even worse than previous Qcomm flagship chips like the SD8G2/SD8+G1 which were closer to 50%-60%. The Redmagic 9 Pro, which has an active fan and massive heatsink, still throttles it's SD8G3 to 66%. This is a $700+ device btw. With shitty camera, no IP water protection rating and 0 updates (once redmagic stops selling this in a year, good luck) The S24 Ultra, a $1300+ device with SD8G3, throttles so bad in yuzu android after a few min, that it's barely any faster than some SD8G2/SD8+G1 devices.

Let's not beat around the bush here, the entire market is sheety. Simplying crying about samsung isn't enough. Qcomm is sheet too. Tensor is trash. Don't get me started on Mali. They're all bad. This arm market is almost as bad as the x86 space (e.g. Delayed Meteor Lake vs AMD's non-existent zen4 apu laptops, fake rivalry competition).

The fact that you can get a ROG Ally now for $599 that has WAY better emu performance (+ online netplay compatibility) AND is cheaper than every single SD8G3 device out there (significantly so if you try to find something with comparable memory-storage options, 16gb+512gb). It begs the question, should we even be looking for arm devices anymore for emulation?

ddssavfaX

efficiency hasn't really moved since snapdragon 865 (which was a fantastic chip and still is to this day), they just added more perf + more watts.

missingxtension

This has been obvious since android hit the streets. X86 is better supported in the open source and is even more open hands down where it counts. You can boot linux is most x86 machines made, but good luck on anything with a locked (fused) boot loader completely destroying any downgrades for the typical user. I cant imagine that much user hostility.

Quote from: Qual Comm on January 26, 2024, 15:33:58@Sam Sung : And where would you have them go? You do realize the average SD8G3 device throttles down to like 40%, right? This is even worse than previous Qcomm flagship chips like the SD8G2/SD8+G1 which were closer to 50%-60%. The Redmagic 9 Pro, which has an active fan and massive heatsink, still throttles it's SD8G3 to 66%. This is a $700+ device btw. With shitty camera, no IP water protection rating and 0 updates (once redmagic stops selling this in a year, good luck) The S24 Ultra, a $1300+ device with SD8G3, throttles so bad in yuzu android after a few min, that it's barely any faster than some SD8G2/SD8+G1 devices.

Let's not beat around the bush here, the entire market is sheety. Simplying crying about samsung isn't enough. Qcomm is sheet too. Tensor is trash. Don't get me started on Mali. They're all bad. This arm market is almost as bad as the x86 space (e.g. Delayed Meteor Lake vs AMD's non-existent zen4 apu laptops, fake rivalry competition).

The fact that you can get a ROG Ally now for $599 that has WAY better emu performance (+ online netplay compatibility) AND is cheaper than every single SD8G3 device out there (significantly so if you try to find something with comparable memory-storage options, 16gb+512gb). It begs the question, should we even be looking for arm devices anymore for emulation?

gogabooga

Quote from: Qual Comm on January 26, 2024, 15:33:58You do realize the average SD8G3 device throttles down to like 40%, right?
Percentage doesn't matter as long as lowest score during throttling is higher.

ArsLoginName

Quote from: gogabooga on January 27, 2024, 07:18:38
Quote from: Qual Comm on January 26, 2024, 15:33:58You do realize the average SD8G3 device throttles down to like 40%, right?
Percentage doesn't matter as long as lowest score during throttling is higher.

I believe that is the OP's point: a SD8G3 performs about the same as as SD8G1 when both are throttled. It's really simple math to estimate going with the collective knowledge of the posts here.

Since throttling mainly occurs when people are gaming, look at 3dMark Wildlife Extreme scores
SD8+G1 no throttle = 2812 pts. If at 70% when throttled (4.9 W) = 1968 pts
SD8G3  no throttle = 5181 pts. If at 45% when throttled (4.8 W) = 2331 pts
So the SD8+G1 performs at about 85% of the level of the SD8G3 despite several nodes and architecture upgrades if the throttle levels are correct.

CPU scaling is terrible from SPECint for the SD8G3 compared to the SD8+G1: only 32% more performance despite consuming 86% more power.

ARM is going the wrong way. Power efficiency is getting worse with each new generation and node. Further the data shows how power efficient the Dimensity 9200 & 9300 as well as the SD8+G1 & SD8G2 really are.

For graphics,

LittleTitu

That's a pretty impressive Geekbench score.
Since I've received my S24, I never surpassed 2139 in single-core, 6466 in multi-core and 14808 in GPU.
But coming from a S22 ultra that got only 1600/3500, I'm very happy with the performance.
I think it's a very solid phone and gaming (Wild Rift) for a couple of hours with a charger plugged in, my temps are very high (44°c) but with a barely noticeable thermal throttling.
The problem is that the slow charging speed (25w) when the temps are that high means that the phone stops charging and just keeps the battery at the same level.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview