News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Four AMD Strix Halo SKUs with up to RTX 4070 performance were apparently pitched to OEMs in 2023

Started by Redaktion, May 03, 2024, 14:24:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

AMD Strix Halo APUs could be available in a range of configurations. From a Strix Halo SKU that rivals the RTX 4070 laptop down to a low-end product with RTX 3050 levels of performance, AMD apparently presented OEMs with four options with up to 16 Zen 5 cores and 40 CUs.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Four-AMD-Strix-Halo-SKUs-with-up-to-RTX-4070-performance-were-apparently-pitched-to-OEMs-in-2023.832661.0.html

Julian M

I can't imagine how hot these chips will run, unless they are underclocked for notebooks - which means their performance will drop vs "up to RTX 4070 performance".

Aren't Ryzen 8000 APUs already difficult to keep cool?

NikoB

QuoteOn the top end, AMD's proposed Strix Halo "Best" featured 8/12/16 Zen 5 cores alongside a 40 Compute Unit (CU) iGPU with a 256-bit wide memory bus and roughly 270 GB/s of bandwidth. The iGPU was said to be rivaling the RTX 4070 laptop
And then it turns out, as with Apple earlier, that there is no trace of 270GB/s there (especially outside the soldered memory) (Apple promised 400 with a 512-bit bus, but in fact it was a shameful 120-130GB/s in real tests) and that even with the 4050 it will not be able to compete in the top version.. =)

I stopped believing official declarations after a series of powerful deceptions in recent years...

O'Connell

QuoteI can't imagine how hot these chips will run, unless they are underclocked for notebooks - which means their performance will drop vs "up to RTX 4070 performance".

is tipical for rumours create such smoke, we all remember when strix point was on par with RTX 3060 months before the launch. same with 9000 sseries, obviously willbe 50% faster than previous generation but will be in par w/ GTX 1080 for 40CU maybe RTX 2070super (and here i'm optimistic)

heffeque

Quote from: O'Connell on May 03, 2024, 20:14:38
QuoteI can't imagine how hot these chips will run, unless they are underclocked for notebooks - which means their performance will drop vs "up to RTX 4070 performance".

is tipical for rumours create such smoke, we all remember when strix point was on par with RTX 3060 months before the launch. same with 9000 sseries, obviously willbe 50% faster than previous generation but will be in par w/ GTX 1080 for 40CU maybe RTX 2070super (and here i'm optimistic)
I think that part of the issue is that you are mixing 4070 desktop and 4070 laptop.
The article talks about the 4070 laptop and 7600 desktop, which have similar performance.

O'Connell

QuoteI think that part of the issue is that you are mixing 4070 desktop and 4070 laptop.
The article talks about the 4070 laptop and 7600 desktop, which have similar performance.

no because the rumour was only RTX 3060, but everybody thought that maybe was reported to "mobile" even thought was at GTX 1060 performances (mobile eh).
Notebookcheck replaced others rumours that talks only of 4070 without specification like was succeded times ago with 3060...

with 8500 can't go over GTX 1080Ti perf.
16Cu 3.5rdna 3 Ghz with 7500 I leave u to suppose what can be...

JUAN_pcbox

I am not a gamer so I do not need any dedicated graphics card, but I do need a laptop that gives me mobility, weighs less than 2.2 pounds and has enough CPU + iGPU power and after seeing the very positive comments from MINISFORUM on YouTube and The incredible battery life is essential for me because I work anywhere, something that no Intel laptop has had and I am about to buy it, I hope this website can make a comparison between MINISFORUM V3 vs Surface 10 Pro.

Reasonable Take

Quote from: O'Connell on May 03, 2024, 20:14:38will be in par w/ GTX 1080 for 40CU maybe RTX 2070super (and here i'm optimistic)

I'd say this is a pretty reasonable take. Desktop RTX 2070 Super is roughly RX 6600 (desktop) performance I think, which is so far what all the rumors for strix halo indicate.

And yeah, I remember those RTX 3060 equivalent rumours too which gave no indication of desktop or mobile variant and were wildly wrong (ended up being GTX 1060 mobile at best instead). Probably best to ignore (AMD) leaks until something is actually released.

I do wonder what strix point's 50%+ of a mobile GTX 1060 / Radeon 780M would land up. Would that be as fast as mobile GTX 1070 / RTX 2060 / RTX 3050 ?

Unfortunately, the difference between a high powered RTX 3050 desktop and mobile RTX low power laptop is kinda huge. So any interest regular strix point just kinda died for me even for a just a x86 handheld, that wouldn't be quite enough for me.

Rather get a qcomm or arm SoC if all I'm getting mobile RTX 3050 perf. Game gpu requirements have just exploded too much recently thanks to current gen consoles to warrant anything less. (Than a RTX 2070 super desktop, that is)

NikoB

I don't understand young people who are really concerned about games. If you want to play - only 4080+. Everything else is half measures and a drop in the quality of gameplay or graphics quality.

Reasonable Take

Quote from: NikoB on May 05, 2024, 12:08:09I don't understand young people who are really concerned about games. If you want to play - only 4080+. Everything else is half measures and a drop in the quality of gameplay or graphics quality.

You're right. But:

1) I only play games from like 10 years ago anyway. Nothing modern from micro transaction era.

2) Some of these older games are quite demanding and unoptimized in certain areas. You basically need an RTX 4080 to run them consistently at 4k@120 but I'd be fine running them at 1080p@90, which strix halo igpu / RX 6600 / RTX 2070 Super tier level hardware should be good enough for.

Small sidenote:

I do think strix halo is widely overhyped in media and article coverage if you think about what it achieves. You're basically getting ps5 current gen performance 5 years later. But what did ivy bridge achieve back in 2012? 332 gflops which is roughly ps3/xbox360 tier but 5 years later on. And unlike arc, intel hd graphics drivers were fairly stable / solid even if they were abit slow.

But unlike ivy bridge laptops which you could find $1000, you can bet strix halo will be in $3000+ ultra premium laptops.

So AMD isn't any better than intel in this respect. And it really isn't surprising, considering the conflict of interest. We're never going to get AMD's biggest and most powerful APU's in the pc consumer market aslong as they've console contracts with Sony. The only reason we getting strix halo next year is because ps5 pro is coming by the end of this year.

Maybe you're right NikoB, I should just stick to consoles and wait for the switch 2. (Since this seems the only way to avoid buying expensive RTX 4080s and still being able to game) Or just quit gaming and find another hobby..

Another possible option is if snapdragon x elite laptops allow eGPU that could be very interesting as x86 on arm emulation ecosystem is maturing very quickly.

ArsLoginName

Strix Halo will not cost $30000 unless with 64 GB and 4 TB. They will be priced almost 'Apple' like but about $300-$400 cheaper due to being manufactured on an older node. So guesstimating 16 core/32 GB/1 TB/40 CU is $2-$2.2k (US) as list price on Alienware 7945HX and 7900M is $2800. Drop $400 per graphics tier to get to 7600XT/4070 mobile levels. Most than likely, they will price it $1899 for the old psychology trick of making it seem much cheaper than $2k.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview