News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

No Elon, portable Starlink dishes are a bad idea

Started by Redaktion, January 16, 2024, 22:51:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Boz

What a pointless article. Total guess work and clearly motivated by prejudice.

S

Living off grid in central america Starlink has been a game changer: 5Mbps to 100Mbps for half the price. Now I can stay connected on my little panga out on the water, access gps and weather reports without investing in a permanent install? Amazing!

I don't think you're the target market.

Guan

Wow, this article really missed the mark. The portable dish is not meant to compete against LTE cellular, it's meant for remote areas where there is no or no decent LTE reception, like in the mountains where you hike (oh wait no, there is no Starlink access in Russia). It's meant for sailboats, RV's, hikers, the outback, the Amazon etc. And the stated speed is towards 100Mbit so yes. it will do just fine as a broadband option. We use the v2 dish for being connected while crossing the Atlantic by sailboat but I would prefer less power usage so bring on the portable dish! Do a bit of research into the audience next time.

Shamir Kava Rashiedka

Blatantly vague and misunderstanding. Starlink is portable, with standard, marine, and RV versions available to the public.

Elrod

This guy must never leave the center of a large city, for those of us that live outside of fiber optics zones, which is a great deal of the rural USA, Starlink is THE answer. It actually allows folks without dependable high speed cell service to enjoy the technology available in large cities. The benefits of starlink only get more obvious in countries with huge areas of low or non existent high speed cellular.

Byron

This guy is Russian, and obviously doesn't like how Starlink is helping Ukraine.

Sеrgey

QuoteThe portable dish is not meant to compete against LTE cellular

Excuse me - did I say the upcoming product is meant to compete against LTE?

QuoteAnd the stated speed is towards 100Mbit

100? Where did you get that number?

My guess is that the thing will either be able to communicate with two or three lower orbit satellites at once, or it will be able to communicate with a single higher orbit satellite but at a much lower rate than a "proper" dish.

QuoteTotal guess work

Yes, if you read the beginning of the article carefully, which obviously very few of you guys do, there are two things there than kind of say the same thing. #1, "opinion", #2, "the specs are unknown at this point".

QuoteStarlink is portable, with standard, marine, and RV versions available to the public.

Jesus Christ. Your definition of "portable" is clearly different from mine. To me, "portable" predominantly means two things, super-compact and able to run off the integrated battery for several hours.

Long story short. Please, please read the article first, guys. Not just a few lines. Read all of it. Then and only then write your comments.

Paul654

The demand for portable connectivity is growing and there really isn't any thing that comes close to the performance of starlink in outback Australia. The power of the current dishy is too high for running off a battery a smaller but somewhat slower version would be ideal for travellers. I think the author has confused Elons "Direct 2 cell" service and starlink. Direct 2 cell will be available with narrowband IP connectivity in 2025 otherwise its just for text with a limited number of satellites deployed.

Shea

This vapid nonsense is what makes me never open a notebookchat article again. "Don't show recommendations from this site."

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview