News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft Surface Pro series facing heavy throttling issues

Started by Redaktion, July 09, 2017, 08:52:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzz E. Loujek

POW, Mac man

https://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/6no840/microsoft_surface_pro_series_facing_heavy/dkb8e3p/

Howard Cadwell

The throttling and performance review didn't specify whether max performance or max battery life option was selected.

Other reviewers have found both no throttling and good thermal control when max performance is selected.  Other modes, such as max battery life, enable throttling by design.

Unless this is taken into consideration, I wonder if the results here are relevant.

Star1

Owned a Surface Pro 2017 i7, 1TB, 16GB model for 7 months now.

Of the 3 power modes when plugged in (4 in battery mode), amazingly the lowest setting of the three actually has the "(Recommended)" in brackets. I find this is only justifiable in the most lowest of mundane tasks that require hardly any performance, otherwise apps will stutter, some video playback/streaming will stutter, etc. Medium level "Better Performance" is probably the true "(Recommend)" setting for when plugged in. The highest "Best Performance" can actually serve to lower CPU Utilization percentage.

I've found that the troublesome "Power Limit Throttle" will repeatedly alternate on any of the three settings, just at different frequencies. Sadly after some time of use, the Power TDP will be throttled substantially and I believe it is primarily from when the enclosure becomes warm. Personally despite liking the Surface Pro 2017 i7, 1TB, 16GB very much, the throttling prevents the unit from being so much more.

Niels

Certainly, throttling will be an issue to users wanting to edit audio, video or 3D drawings.

Anybody who plans to play an occasional game will also suffer.

Pure office users may not run into throttling, but for them, there's still a major issue with Microsoft's product:  Its glued together and can't be upgraded or repaired by yourself or the shop at the corner.

Not to mention that Microsoft thinks your computer is really theirs and you just get to use it in the way they deem fit, as demonstrated by Microsoft's admission, that Windows updates can and will remove software from your system unasked, without prompt.  We're not talking pirated stuff here either, we're talking anything the logic of the present windows update doesn't like... 

After its finished, you want to continue your work, but your software, its gone!  This has included Office Pro 2016, Capture One Pro, for example.

Please send Microsoft the bill for missed deadlines  :)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview